The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horizontal scaling of a cPanel server using NFS for home

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by destroydem, Apr 22, 2017.

1. destroydem

destroydem Member

I realize discussing other products here is faux pas, but in terms of general scope I would be interested to hear any thoughts on the idea.

Without having experimented too heavily, where exactly lies the problem with adding servers under a loadbalancer that rely on the home folder outside the system?

It seems very possible to add machines to such a situation with a script to set shared hosting on launch. Since there isn't a lot of data out there search wise, where do the other problems lie?

2. Anoop P Alias

Anoop P Alias Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    NFS would be slow and the NFS server is a single point of filure

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Here's a note from our installation document regarding the use of network filesystems:

Thank you.

4. destroydem

destroydem Member

I am having no trouble with network filesystem or external database, the base system works as I would expect.

My real questions lie in launching additional copies of the core machine for use under a balancer. I won't be using cpanel or whm in these cases on the other machines, routing from a balancer to apache to the network home folder which is connected to an external database. I realize there are complications but I would be interested if anyone has tried to do this there is very little information out there.

I am working with EFS, RDS and AWS. I feel like it looks doable with some fiddling around. I am well aware this methodology is unsupported / compatibility could change at any time etc. but again, If there were more thoughts on the situation I would be interested to hear them.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    destroydem likes this.
  6. destroydem

destroydem Member

great, Thanks Michael. You are always super helpful, it is much appreciated. This is the type of stuff I am interested in reading. I have some partially tested builds, but gathering information of this nature even if of different structure, is incredibly valuable. Some of these ideas don't come up in general searches so it's been hard to find other thoughts and ideas on the subject... hence the post directly on the forums.

If anyone else has thoughts...please, by all means, I would love to explore and discuss or share notes further.

cPanelMichael likes this.