Horizontal scaling of a cPanel server using NFS for home

destroydem

Apr 24, 2008
I realize discussing other products here is faux pas, but in terms of general scope I would be interested to hear any thoughts on the idea.

Without having experimented too heavily, where exactly lies the problem with adding servers under a loadbalancer that rely on the home folder outside the system?

It seems very possible to add machines to such a situation with a script to set shared hosting on launch. Since there isn't a lot of data out there search wise, where do the other problems lie?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Here's a note from our installation document regarding the use of network filesystems:

We only develop and test cPanel & WHM on filesystems that support flock. Some network filesystems (for example, NFS) may require additional configuration in order to function properly. However, these configurations are difficult to implement successfully and we do not support them.
Thank you.

destroydem

Apr 24, 2008
I am having no trouble with network filesystem or external database, the base system works as I would expect.

My real questions lie in launching additional copies of the core machine for use under a balancer. I won't be using cpanel or whm in these cases on the other machines, routing from a balancer to apache to the network home folder which is connected to an external database. I realize there are complications but I would be interested if anyone has tried to do this there is very little information out there.

I am working with EFS, RDS and AWS. I feel like it looks doable with some fiddling around. I am well aware this methodology is unsupported / compatibility could change at any time etc. but again, If there were more thoughts on the situation I would be interested to hear them.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Reactions: destroydem

destroydem

Apr 24, 2008
Hello,

You may find some of the comments on the following feature requests helpful (some of them are discussing examples of how they have implemented similar setups):

Server configuration and data auto-sync (mirroring)
Active-Active Redundancy or High-availability
Built-in load balancing, replication, high availability

Thank you.
great, Thanks Michael. You are always super helpful, it is much appreciated. This is the type of stuff I am interested in reading. I have some partially tested builds, but gathering information of this nature even if of different structure, is incredibly valuable. Some of these ideas don't come up in general searches so it's been hard to find other thoughts and ideas on the subject... hence the post directly on the forums.

If anyone else has thoughts...please, by all means, I would love to explore and discuss or share notes further.

Reactions: cPanelMichael