The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Host A Entry won't fix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Secret Agent, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Secret Agent

Secret Agent Guest

Error reloading bind on server: rndc: no key definition for name rndc-key Add Complete

I checked /etc/named/conf and the "-" was already removed by me.
    I did a dns cleanup in whm (for sake of it)
    I deleted the dns zone and re-added the A entry (get error above)

I restart bind / no errors

Ran /scripts/fixnamed

Checked /etc/rndc.conf and the "-" is also gone already.

I checked /etc/resolv.conf and have only two resolvers pointing to the data center as usual and always on any servers I have

/etc/hosts shows this (edited actualy domain for privacy)

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    # that require network functionality will fail.
    xx.x1.49.154 server.thehostdomain.com server
    127.0.0.1 localhost

Ran /scripts/fixndc and it shows as fixed already.

I still get the A entry missing pop up. What to do?

#1 Secret Agent, Feb 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2005
  2. Secret Agent

Secret Agent Guest

Anyone can help please?

3. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

I believe it's saying that you need an a entry for your server's hostname in your dns, in the zone file for the domain that the hostname uses... so create one, since you don't seem to have one already.

4. Secret Agent

Secret Agent Guest

I know that. It does this all the time after I add the A entry. I've deleted it and re-added a fresh copy too many times still same junk

5. dezignguy

you'd better spell out exactly what you're doing then... since it seems to be working for everyone else.

one more thing... this is just a rumor i heard somewhere around here, but it seems that cpanel doesn't like it if you put the full hostname in the a record... so if you just do the 'subdomain' part (like www or any other subdomain) it may stop bugging you.

6. Secret Agent

Secret Agent Guest

What do you mean full hostanme in the A record? That's what it asks for in the "change hostname" section.

"In english, A hostname should consist of a name and a domain name. All valid hostnames should have 2 dots in them. Hostnames should never begin with "www". "

I always setup the A entries such as "server.thedomain.com"

Is it possible that the A entry error appears if the domain's nameservers have not been pointed to the actual server yet?

I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary.

Simple steps:

1. Install cPanel
    2. Go to "edit setup" and apply ns1/ns2 and hostname (I do not actually assign IP and add A entry for ns1/ns2 yet)
    3. Go to change hostname, add server.domains.com - Add A entry (which by the way I have to do twice, first time it always shows "invalid license file" error, have to hit "back" and hit "add an A entry...." again second time, then hit "add the entry".
    4. Go back to edit setup and assign IP for ns1 and add A entry, same for ns2.

7. dezignguy

Right, that's a correct hostname (though in a zone file it should have a period at the end otherwise the domain will get appended to the end again automatically)... however I'm saying that perhaps you should try using just 'servername' in the dns zone file... the dns server will append the zones domain to the end of it to make the full hostname... this is supposedly what cpanel is looking for. But I haven't confirmed that rumor, so it may not help anything.

Make the server hostname look like your 'mail' a record.
    Code:
    mail    14400   IN      A       ip.add.re.ss
    instead of what you seem to have now:

Code:
    mail.servername.com.    14400   IN      A       ip.add.re.ss
    As I said it may not help... it was just someone's observation on this forum that the above was cpanel's behavior. So it's just hearsay.

Err... what do you mean by this? So your domain's namserver's don't have proper A records either? Or your domain doesn't have the nameservers you're using listed at the registrar - ie parked? If that's true then its likely your problem, since a lookup of the server's hostname would return nothing if you don't have it setup at the nameserver's that are listed by the domain.

8. Secret Agent

Secret Agent Guest

Ok found this...got the popup again and says this

IP=xx.x1.49.154 Bind reloading on server using rndc zone: [domain.com] Error reloading bind on server: rndc: no key definition for name rndc-key Add Complete

I ran /scripts/fixndc

root@support [~]# /scripts/fixndc
    Fixndc using rh9/rhes3/fedora support
    Found key in named.conf ..
    Found controls in named.conf ..
    named.conf has already been fixed!

What now?

9. mydomain

mydomain Well-Known Member

Try this mate:

/scripts/updatenow
    /scripts/upcp --force
    mv /etc/named.conf /etc/named.old
    /scripts/rebuildnamedconf > /etc/named.conf
    service named stop
    killall -9 named
    /scripts/fixndc
    /scripts/fixndc

10. Secret Agent

Secret Agent Guest

I'm having this problem again on a new server.

I'm using the same hostname as I have on another server, highly doubt that should be an issue as the domain itself is not setup as an account on either server

Part of the instructions in WHM does say:

It is important to choose a hostname that you will not be using for any account.

I ran the steps you mentioned (mydomain) and didn't fix it. I'm not sure what to do here. Please help. Still getting the popups