The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

host lookup did not complete

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by compunet2, Jul 9, 2003.

1. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

I have one of my domains hosted on another server (that I dont own, and cant move), however they too are using cpanel. They seem to get a "host lookup did not complete" when trying to send mail to certain domains. They are using external DNS servers in the /etc/resolv.conf (provided by the NOC, not the darkorbit default), but ones they are convinced work. I also hand them check /etc/localdomains, and that too has my domain listed.

When they try to run the following command:
    host -t mx problemdomain.com, the command calls up the server that handles the request, and a host command reveals they are resolving to the correct IP. Soo.... the question is, what can we be missing? Does the sucessful "host -t mx" command confirm that the DNS is working correctly, or is there something else I can do to test it? Could something else be wrong? Thanks!

(one more note... when I receive an email from that server, in the headers I get an
    "X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [0 0] / [0 0]", which I though was strange receiving UID/GID of 00).

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 compunet2, Jul 9, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2003
  2. compunet2

Does anyone know:
    1) How Exim is trying to lookup the host
    2) What info it's expecting

3. howard

howard Well-Known Member

1) For the sender verify stuff it looks up the mx record for the domain or hostname, if there is no mx record it will look for the A record, for message routing (e.g. when its trying to figure out the ip address of the host it should be connecting to send the message) it look up the mx records then the A record for the server it selects from the list of mx records

2) ip address mainly or for the message routing mx records with a list of hostnames

#3 howard, Jul 9, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2003
  4. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Although I'm not sure what is the exact problem (who is trying to do what), I do know that you are showing only part of the error msg. If we look at the full error msg. we see:

H=(somedomain.com) [IP address] sender verify defer for <eMail address>: host lookup did not complete

Now, I could be wrong, but TMK Exim will attempt to match all 3: () [] <> and they must match. No match spits out an error.

I usually ignore them myself as 99.999% of the time they are Spam attempts.

To troubleshoot this type of problem, I would suggest you start with the eMail address and work backwards.

As for the "/etc/resolv.conf" file, the rule-of-thumb that I use, is to only use two IPs:

nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx. < base IP address for the Server

5. compunet2

Basically, what I'm trying to do is send emails... however some domains I try to send to, I get the host lookup error (quiet a few domains actually). Here's an example of a problem email address (one of the problem domains):
    #
    /usr/sbin/exim -d -bt nobody@pilotonline.com
    Exim version 3.36 debug level 1 uid=0 gid=0
    Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: DB 2.4.14: (6/2/98)
    nobody@pilotonline.com cannot be resolved at this time:
    host lookup did not complete
    #

#
    host -t mx pilotonline.com
    pilotonline.com mail is handled by 100 mailhost2.infi.net.
    pilotonline.com mail is handled by 60 gateway1.pilotonline.com.
    pilotonline.com mail is handled by 70 gateway2.pilotonline.com.
    #

Now, I know the addresses I'm sending to are GOOD, because I can send from another SMTP server, and the mail goes through, and they recieve it. It just wont send from this server....

Any idea on how I can confirm if the external DNS is working? Like I said, I would personally perfer using a local IP in the resolv.conf, but for whatever reason, they are insisting on using the external DNS... I just need some way to show them thats what the problem is (assuming that IS actually the problem)....
    ==============================

6. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    By providing the actual problem domain it was much easier to sort out what the problem is.

Here is your "proof of problem"
    http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=pilotonline.com

Show that to whomever and if they won't let you fix it, ask how long it will take for them to fix it. ;)

7. compunet2

I see what your saying, however why is Exim the only one having a problem sending? I can send through AOL, Verizon, etc., and the mail goes through instantly. Also, I see that 2 of the 3 mailservers timed out for this particular domain, but 1 does connect.... (you can ping gateway1.pilotonline.com just fine). Shouldn't that be enough to send the email?

8. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Those are the questions you should be asking your Hoster/Upline as they can (should) not only be able to give the best answer, but also fix the problem -- if they will not allow you to.

I would also ask them why, 2 PTR or rDNS entries are showing:

PTR= pilotonline.com
    PTR= vh80013.vh8.infi.net.

I do believe, along with two PTR's which is not correct, the crux of the problem has to do with the settigs in the 'resolv.conf' file, but that's just a guess on my part.

I also do not understand why:

209.97.63.248 and/or pilotonline.com

re-direct to: http://www.hamptonroads.com/pilotonline/

and can ony presume that is the way you want? Most curious, to have your own Domain name and point it to someone else's Sub-domain? To each their own though.

9. compunet2

pilotonline.com isn't one of my domains.... its one of the domains I'm having a problem sending TO (a remote domain). So I think they do the redirection because they own several different publications, and they re-direct to the pairent company.... but in either case, that part is out of my control, and isn't part of my problem...

I'm thinking its a DNS issue..... thenewsboy.com is one of the domains on the cpanel server that is having the problem. I tried dnsreport.com, but I dont see any failures.... Is there some test I can run (or have their NOC run) to test the remote DNS that you know of?

In any case, I think your right about the resolv.conf being the problem.... I'll talk to the NOC tomorrow, and see why they refuse to set it local... They said there was a reason, but it was a "long story". It might be time to listen :)

10. compunet2

Just curious.... HOW does it actually perform the lookup? Does it use host,dig, nslookup, it's own goodies etc.....