The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Host Manager for WHM by Dayana....any help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bcappel, Oct 30, 2012.

1. bcappel

bcappel Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    (Prefacing this by saying it's my first post in the forum so I'm not sure where this post goes. Please feel free to move it to the appropriate thread. Thanks!)

Hey everyone!

I'm a newbie to the forum but not a newbie to WHM nor CPanel. I have been using both for my own personal use and for my reseller business for years. They are the BEST products out there for what they do, and I love them both. I couldn't get by without them.

I just bought an iPad app to manage CPanel and WHM from a company called Dayana. The WHM app is found here:

/http://www.cpios.com/whm

It had pretty good reviews and I liked the look and feel of their interface, and the bad reviews seemed to be from people who couldn't install the backend software on their server, so I figured I had enough experience to overcome those issues. Apparently I was wrong. LOL

Does anyone have any experience with this software? I'm getting the same C2500 error that's mentioned in the reviews, and it seems like my iPad is trying to connect to my server to put some software on there itself, but I can't be sure. Their support doesn't seem to be responding to anyone, but before I go and ask for a refund, I thought I would come here and see if either the developer is lurking about or if anyone else knows what to do and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Bob

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    From reading the reviews it appears the IOS app attempts to install, or update, /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/hm_iphone_wrap_X.X.cgi on your server. You might try locating a version of this file, perhaps from the developer, and install it manually.

3. bcappel

bcappel Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey Kenneth,

Yeah, this was one of my first thoughts as well. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a copy of the file, but I'll look again. I'd like to find out how to get in contact with the company personally for service, but that doesn't seem very easy either.

I certainly don't want to sound like a whiner, and I REALLY don't want to get bent out of shape over the $3.99 that this app cost, but obviously if you pay for something it should work. Again, I wonder if the owner/creator of this app is on the board somewhere? If you're out there listening, I could use some help. :)

But yeah, I'll go look for that again, Kenneth. I didn't really look that hard the first time because I was trying to get it to work as advertised.

Bob

4. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I managed to get the App working. But I didn't do anything special:

1. Install the cPanel::3rdparty::ModuleInstaller perl module:
    Code:
    # /scripts/perlinstaller cPanel::3rdparty::ModuleInstaller

2. Tail /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log to ensure the app is connecting to the server. You should see entries like this:
    Code:
    172.1.5.202 - kpower [10/31/2012:19:26:23 -0000] "GET /json-api/applist?hm_iphone=1 HTTP/1.1" 200 0 "" "Host Manager 1.2 rv:100 (iPad; iPhone OS 6.0; en_US)"
    172.1.5.202 - kpower [10/31/2012:19:26:24 -0000] "GET /cgi/hm_iphone_wrap_1.0.cgi?action=get-version HTTP/1.1" 200 0 "" "Host Manager 1.2 rv:100 (iPad; iPhone OS 6.0; en_US)"
    172.1.5.202 - kpower [10/31/2012:19:26:25 -0000] "GET /scripts2/module_installers_live_install?mod=cPanel::3rdparty::ModuleInstaller&lang=perl HTTP/1.1" 200 0 "" "Host Manager 1.2 rv:100 (iPad; iPhone OS 6.0; en_US)"
    172.1.5.202 - kpower [10/31/2012:19:26:26 -0000] "POST /cgi/cpfm-module-installer.cgi HTTP/1.1" 200 0 "" "Host Manager 1.2 rv:100 (iPad; iPhone OS 6.0; en_US)"

3. Restart cpsrvd

The last step I did to enable some debugging. The debugging turned out to not be needed because after the restart, the app was able to connect. shrug.

5. bcappel

bcappel Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Kenneth,

Thanks for pointing a few of these things out to me, esp. the way you installed the perl module in this example. But, as it turns out, there was an issue with the URL I was pointing my app to, and there was a problem with our licensing on the server...it wasn't a problem with the app at all. LOL Anyway, once I got the URLs fixed and moved the licenses around, I was all good to go.

So yeah...user error once again.

But thanks very much! I've been using the app this afternoon and it's pretty cool. Do you think it's the best of it's breed out there or is there one you might like better? Always trying to find a better way to manage things.

Thanks,
    Bob

6. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm glad you were able to resolve the matter and are able to use the app. :)

For app comparisons I don't use any of them enough to form a firm opinion. I only picked up this one to help you :)

There is one thing that disturbs me about this app: the perl module it wants installed. The module is basically a thin wrapper around the command line. It appears the app sends "raw" commands to the module in order to either retrieve info or perform operations that are not expressed via our API.

Since the module requires authentication, via our product, to be used, it's not as scary as it could be. But it still makes me wince.