The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Host name?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by laborspy, Mar 7, 2006.

1. laborspy

laborspy Well-Known Member

I am trying to change the host name of one of my servers and the 'change hostname' is not an option. Instead under Network Setup I have just 'hostname' that will not allow me to change the name as it normally would. Anyone heard of this?

WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.1-S114
    CentOS 4.2 x86_64 - WHM X v3.1.0

2. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

When clicking "networking setup" -> "hostname", you should have a page displayed, at the bottom of which is the "change hostname" form field - in that is an input box called "new hostname".

Is the box there? If not, what is displayed on the page?

3. laborspy

Here is a screenshot. It's odd, I admin other machines that have the same version but not seeing the problem.

http://userweb.suscom.net/~jt/hostname.jpg

There is nothing bellow what is shown...just blank space, and doesn't even randomly generate random names.

4. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Which web browser are you using?

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I'm getting the same thing.

It was once working fine, but then I migrated accounts from one server to the affected server, changed the affected servers IP addresses and the tried to finish things off by changing the hostname, but alas I get the same as the screenshot.

This is unlikely to be a browser issue as I am able to change the hostname fine on another server and both servers are running more or less the same version of WHM/cPanel (one is on the latest RELEASE, the other the latest CURRENT).

I'm waiting for cPanel support to look into things and will report back anything useful that I find out.

6. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

Have you tried doing it manually? You may even find the cause of the issue by going through the manual checks in part 3) below:

7. laborspy

I know there is a manual way of doing it, but it seems like the software that I'm paying for to do it for me isn't working. Just trying to find out if anyone else is having the same problem and it does sound like I am not the only one.

8. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

This is the response I received from cPanel support which fixed the problem:

9. laborspy

Yes I just went through the manual checks you provided. Yes I did find some errors like in the I didn't have a 'Domain' entry and the 'Search' actually stated domain.com not my server name. The hosts file was a little messed up as well it had entries that made the incorrect resolv.conf work. I did correct them, and rebooted the server with no luck.

10. laborspy

Perfect thanks alot webignition! I did adjust it, and it now works perfectly fine.