Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Host only emails of domain in cPanel without changing the nameservers?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by EneTar, Jul 6, 2018.

1. EneTar

EneTar Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Currently I have domain1.com hosted on my server and I want to host the emails of the domain2.com without creating a user account for domain2.com in WHM. After that I would like to create a forwarder from info@domain2.com to info@domain1.com (<- I know how to do that)

Of course I have access to the DNS of domain2.com

I would like to avoid changing the nameservers of domain2.com (It's hosted elsewhere) and add only DNS entries so that I host only its emails.
    How would you do it?

2. Remitur

Remitur Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You need just to change the MX record of domain2.com in something like

domain2.com MX yourserverhostname.com

3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    As described by @Remitur you'd just need to change the MX record to point to the server you want to receive mail to but you would need to create an account on the server this way.

If you want to forward mail from domain1.com -> domain2.com on different servers you can create a forwarder in the cPanel UI to forward user@domain1.com -> user@domain2.com. Mail won't be delivered to user@domain1.com as long as the email address doesn't exist on that server.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. EneTar

EneTar Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1) What if the server which hosts the domain1.com doesn't have cPanel and it has only a DNS panel.

2) Could I add domain2.com as an addon or alias to domain1.com if I just change the mx record?

5. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you're referencing cPanel's DNSOnly it is not intended for email accounts nor should you be able to create an account it's not intended for you to be hosting domains on, its purpose is for DNS only.

You can do this, the domain does not need to be pointed to the server in order to add it as an addon. You'll just need to ensure that WHM>>Server Configuration>>Tweak Settings -> Allow Remote Domains is enabled.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...