Host only emails of domain in cPanel without changing the nameservers?

EneTar

Dec 19, 2015
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Currently I have domain1.com hosted on my server and I want to host the emails of the domain2.com without creating a user account for domain2.com in WHM. After that I would like to create a forwarder from [email protected] to [email protected] (<- I know how to do that)

Of course I have access to the DNS of domain2.com

I would like to avoid changing the nameservers of domain2.com (It's hosted elsewhere) and add only DNS entries so that I host only its emails.
How would you do it?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
As described by @Remitur you'd just need to change the MX record to point to the server you want to receive mail to but you would need to create an account on the server this way.

If you want to forward mail from domain1.com -> domain2.com on different servers you can create a forwarder in the cPanel UI to forward [email protected] -> [email protected]. Mail won't be delivered to [email protected] as long as the email address doesn't exist on that server.

Thanks!

EneTar

Dec 19, 2015
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If you want to forward mail from domain1.com -> domain2.com on different servers you can create a forwarder in the cPanel UI to forward [email protected] -> [email protected]. Mail won't be delivered to [email protected] as long as the email address doesn't exist on that server.
1) What if the server which hosts the domain1.com doesn't have cPanel and it has only a DNS panel.

2) Could I add domain2.com as an addon or alias to domain1.com if I just change the mx record?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
1) What if the server which hosts the domain1.com doesn't have cPanel and it has only a DNS panel.
If you're referencing cPanel's DNSOnly it is not intended for email accounts nor should you be able to create an account it's not intended for you to be hosting domains on, its purpose is for DNS only.

2) Could I add domain2.com as an addon or alias to domain1.com if I just change the mx record?
You can do this, the domain does not need to be pointed to the server in order to add it as an addon. You'll just need to ensure that WHM>>Server Configuration>>Tweak Settings -> Allow Remote Domains is enabled.

Thanks!