The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Host site but leave mail on other server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by YALDesign, Dec 22, 2012.

1. YALDesign

YALDesign Member

Dec 10, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a client that have a domain name and is hosted on a linux server without cpanel. And he wants to remain on actually server with mail server and accounts !

And he wants only and to work from my server ( The website )

I use CentOS with cpanel/whm 11.34.1 what i should do to manage only his website ? ( to put his files from website on my server ).

Thanks for your time and Merry Christmas to all !
  2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This will be no different from creating any other new account, except that the existing MX records will need to be modified to make sure they point to an A record that points to the old server, and the A records for the site should point to your server.

MX records point to an A record, not an IP address, so you may need to make a new A record to which to point the MX records. For example, say you have the MX record pointing to If you change the A record for to point to your server, then when a mail server tries to send mail to, it is going to look up the MX record for, get, and find that points to - so mail will be delivered to your server.

To avoid this, change the A records for and to point to your server's IP address. Now, make a new A record, something like, and make the MX records point to that new A record. Make the A record point to the old server's IP address. That way, the old server will still handle mail, but your server will handle the site.