Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Host unknown / timeout for local domain

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by galbaras, Oct 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. galbaras

galbaras Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I run a central administration system that makes connections to websites on the same shared hosting server via cURL. Sporadically, the system gets a "host unknown" status with a "timeout" reason.

My hosting provider claims that in a shared environment, there are many zone updates, after which BIND is restarted, causes periods of unavailability for local name resolutions. So I have a couple of questions:

1. Is BIND restarted, is it just HUP'ed or does something else take place after zone updates?

2. Is there a way to configure the server to always be able to resolve local hosts, e.g. tweak BIND settings, run more than one BIND process or use /etc/hosts as a backup method?
    Thank you,
    Gal

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Updating a zone with Bind will not result in a restart, but it does result in a reload. When reloading zones, it will not respond to requests. Have you considered using PowerDNS with cPanel version 60?

How to Use PowerDNS - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages we list in the "WHM >> Nameserver Selection" interface:

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

3. galbaras

galbaras Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you, Michael.

On a shared server, my hosting provider will have to be convinced to make this switch, and so far, they're saying no.

I've spoken to a friend who provides hosting and he suspects a configuration issue may be involved. Is this possible, or should I just accept that lookups of local domains will sometimes fail?

Thanks again,
    Gal

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's possible, but it's not something you would have access to investigate without root access to the system. I recommend reaching out to your hosting provider to see if any other solutions are possible. Otherwise, if the downtime is frequent enough, you may need to consider switching to another hosting provider.

Thank you.