The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Host Usage / DNS problem

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by footose, Jan 25, 2004.

1. footose

footose Member

My friend and I recently purchased a webserver.

Unfortunatly, when it was setup the wrong host name was put in to the server.

We used Webhost Manager to change the host name and everything seems ok, except for when we click on "Host Usage" it shows the old host name and not the new one.

Now, the nameservers were also setup under the old host name, but we changed the nameserever to our new host name, but now whenever we goto a domain host record to input the new nameserver it says that there is an error.

However, if we put our old nameserver address in there it will say it is fine.

We've tried it on several domain names and its the same problem. At first I thought it was because the DNS hasn't updated yet, but here's what happens.

I have old.com setup for ns1.old.com and sending to the IP on the machine.

I just left those entry's in there because i dont think it would make a difference cause no one is using that for a name serever anyway...

I setup ns1.new.com and it resolves when I ping it and whatnot, but when I put it into the domain host it says that there is an error.

However, if I switch back to ns1.old.com it will work.. (again because i left the host entry ont he domain with that ip)

but then people can us ns1.old.com as their nameserever, btu we want it to be ns1.new.com

now in the host usage entry on WHM, it still says our old host name for the IP address.. I think this is where the problem lies. Does anyone know if you can chagne that?

Thanks!

2. efeito

efeito Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

After changing the hostname, did you reboot your server?

3. footose

footose Member

not imediatly, but it has been since