The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting a site using customers name servers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Networkologist, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Networkologist

Networkologist Well-Known Member

hi.

my isp is a small community based non-profit that provides high speed wireless to this rural area.

I agreed to host a Joomla! site for them but they want (need?) to use their nameservers so that typing www.somedomain.com into the browser would load the Joomla! site hosted on my vps.

Is this possible and if so how would I set this up in WHM.

TIA

2. cluepatel

cluepatel Member

lol you need domain name and create a account in cpanel and point its name server to your server address and you're done

3. Networkologist

Here's what my host tech support said to do but it doesn't make any sense to me:

4. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

Do you mean that they want to use their nameservers, as in :

ns1.theirdomainname.com
    ns2.theirdomainname.com

?

5. meeven

meeven Well-Known Member

If all they want is for their domain to come up when someone types their domain name, it doesn't require the nameservers to be changed.

If they want to host with you but retain their name servers (probably for branding reasons), the steps are pretty much like what was outlined by your tech host support, although I am not sure if all domain registrars allow adding of A records (pointing to your VPS IP) through their interface. When nameservers are registered for a domain, the root name servers automatically create A records pointing to the IP on which the nameservers are running, but this seems to be the other way around.

It may be worthwhile taking a look at the reseller set up documentation for WHM as that covers scenarios where resellers can have their own nameservers while still hosted with you - pretty similar to your current situation.

#5 meeven, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. sirbrent

sirbrent Well-Known Member

The registrar where their domain is registered should be able to unlink their nameservers from the old IPs (old server) and then register them to your IPs. This is not a difficult task.

7. Networkologist

Thanks for the info. Especially the Reseller point. I'll look into that.

As it stands now I plan to try the following:

Since the domain will not be using my nameservers, I will edit and change the nameservers (in WHM) to ns1/ns2/ns3/NS4.domain.com ala "WHM >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone >> Select Domain Name >> Change the nameservers" option.

Next, the client needs to login to to their Registrar and add A record for the domain using the IP of my main shared account.