The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting DNS only

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by verdon, Feb 24, 2004.

1. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I'm a bit new, so I hope I can even phrase this well enough to be understood. I'm looking for some confirmation that I've taken the right steps.

In this scenario, I have a couple sites that are on a very stripped down server, not running dns. The rest of my sites and my primary nameserver are on a whm/cpanel server. I need to host the dns for the 3 domains at the external server, on my primary whm/cpanel server. The registrar records for these domains point to my whm/cpanel box for dns.

Using whm, I created a dns zone for each of the 3 domains pointing to the IP of the external server. I then edited the zones so they look like this...

Code:
    ; Modified by Web Host Manager
    ; Zone File for externaldomain.com
    @	14400	IN	SOA	ns1.mydomain.com.	(
    					)

externaldomain.com.	14400	IN	NS	ns1.mydomain.com.
    externaldomain.com.	14400	IN	NS	ns2.mydomain.com.

externaldomain.com.	14400	IN	A	xxx.xx.xx.xx

[url]www.externaldomain.com.	14400	IN	CNAME	externaldomain.com.[/url]

Is there anything else I need to do?

I should say that I am in process of moving this setup to my whm/cpanel server from an hsphere shared server where this worked fine. The reason I seem unsure is that the hsphere cp called this 'parking' a domain and that is definately not what cpanel means by parking a domain :) I think I'm on the right track, but wouldn't mind some input from others with more experience.

Best regards,