The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting Email ONLY

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by freedog96150, Jan 11, 2007.

1. freedog96150

freedog96150 Well-Known Member

Thought I would run this by some of you.

I am hosting email only for a client. The web hosting is being handled by another service. DNS is being handled by other host, except for what I need to setup proper email service.

So I have done the following:
    1. I setup an account using his existing domain name.
    2. I selected the xmail skin to simplyfy the control panel for the user.
    3. I instructed the client to change his MX and DNS records on their existing server to point my way. MX is setup as follows: existing.domainname.com. IN MX 10 mail.existing.domainname.com. and an A record for mail that points to the IP address to my server.

On my server, I let the account creation script setup the account as normal.

Does this seem correct?? If not, anyone have a concrete idea on setting this up properly??

Thanks for the help!
    Brian

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That should be fine, but:

1. Make sure you don't have a zone for the domain setup in your DNS configuration - if you do, delete it as you're not authoritative for the domain

2. Make sure that there is only one MX record setup for the domain and it is pointing to your server (i.e. that there aren't two of them) which you can do using dnsstuff.com

3. Make sure that the domain is listed in /etc/localdomains

3. freedog96150

freedog96150 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply Chirpy.

So I SSH'd into my server and rm'ed the zone file in /var/named that the account creation script made. That file did exist and I was wondering about the havoc that would cause if I left it there. I double-checked that the domain existed in /etc/localdomains. I am assuming that the MX record that needs to be setup is on THEIR current authoritative DNS server and not mine as I no longer have a domain record for them). Hopefully when we test tomorrow, all will be good!!

Again, thanks!!!
    Brian