The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting mail but not website

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bluejhavoc, Jan 18, 2005.

1. bluejhavoc

bluejhavoc Active Member

Problem is I can get the email working but then I knock out access to this customers website when the mail is up and running. I am only disabling access to the website for users on my network. But this is a very regional site so access is needed. I think it is a DNS problem but I'm not sure.

Any help is appreciated!

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

I think I'd need more information before I attempted to guess what's wrong... you haven't given many details, and there's too many unasnwered questions.

But if you host their dns, then you need to make sure their site's ip addresses are all pointing to their other servers... and that you only have the mx entries pointing to your server.

If the dns is hosted elsewhere... then you just need to point the mx to your server, and make no other changes to the zone.

3. bluejhavoc

bluejhavoc Active Member

I did that and I am getting this response from dnsreport.com
    FAIL
    Acceptance of postmaster address ERROR: One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail to postmaster@domain.com. Mailservers are required (RFC822 6.3, RFC1123 5.2.7, and RFC2821 4.5.1) to accept mail to postmaster.
    mail.cdomain.com's postmaster response: >>> RCPT TO:<postmaster@domain.com> <<< 550-test.dnsstuff.com (test.DNSreport.com) [0.0.0.0] is currently not 550-permitted to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into 550-the pop/imap server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP 550 Authentication turned on in your email client.
    WARN Acceptance of abuse address

WARNING:
    One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail to abuse@cambridgeyachtbrokers.com. Mailservers are expected by RFC2142 to accept mail to abuse.

mail.cambridgeyachtbrokers.com's abuse response:
    >>> RCPT TO:<abuse@domain.com>
    <<< 550-test.dnsstuff.com (test.DNSreport.com) [0.0.0.0] is currently not
    550-permitted to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into
    550-the pop/imap server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP
    550 Authentication turned on in your email client.

If you need more info let me know

Scott

#3 bluejhavoc, Jan 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005