The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hosting transfer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chike, Jan 22, 2010.

1. chike

chike Member

hello everyone,

i want to transfer my hosting account to another server and i have downloaded a full backup of my site which is in a .tar.gz format.

how do i go about transferring the site. i hav bought a new hosting account. i think i might ask my new host company to do that for me, but i shall also be doing the same for the clients i would have on my soon to be launched reseller hosting package so i need the knowledge for myself.

pls help

:confused:

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In WHM find the link on left menu named: Restore a Full Backup/cpmove File The documents on this might be helpful:
    Restore a Full Backup/cpmove File

Upload your backup into one of the directories listed there, visit that area in your WHM and use the tool there to restore the account(s).

HTH

3. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

If you have the cPanel in your existing server and also if you are transferring your file into another cPanel server then you can use the function of Transfer Account from WHM. If you do not have an access to the server you will have to contact your new hosting provider service and also you will need to provide us the existing cPanel username and password and also the Ip address of your existing cPanel server so that they can directly migrate your domain from one server to another.

4. chike

chike Member

thanks everyone

thanks everyone,

as soon as i finally buy my reseller hosting account, i shall try this out.

but am wondering if i had to change the nameservers of the domain to point to my own server b4 restoring the full backup from whm.

and i dont think the server to server transfer can be done from whm, maybe that would be done by the hosting company themselves, is that?

thanks anyway,

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Don't change the domains nameservers until the account is moved, setup and you're sure it all made it ok. Yes your new host can move it for you with your login details from the old server/account.

GL!