The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostname A entry error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thrillhost, Jun 7, 2003.

1. thrillhost

thrillhost Registered

Allright, after banging my head against the wall I am about to admit defeat of a very simple issue, but no matter what I have tried, it will not go away.

I added a server recently and had cpanel/whm loaded. I went through the normal initial setup flow and added all the necessary info, setup the DNS zones and all that fun stuff.

The issue is that whenever I log back into WHM, I get the error that the hostname is not assigned an "A" entry. Fine, I look just to be sure as I know I already added it, and sure enough it is there. Ok, just out of curiosity I choose to add it from the error and it states it already exists, big surprise.

So then I delete the zone, re-add it and get the same issue. Fine, So I tried making a few more tweaks on my own just to see and it still is broke.

So today I had to ssh in to update the apache anyway due to the security alert, did that, updated everything else I could think of. I knew that would not fix the "A" entry but held out hope maybe it was just a glitch. Nope, still happening.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what might be causing this? I have a feeling it is something so simple that I am just missing it. The other thing that happens is when adding or deleting the zone, I get a "ndc connect failed :connection refused". I also get this when re-starting bind "rndc connect failed, connection refused" "bind started ok" and while bind is running, it is not ok.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. jdarow

jdarow Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Just had this problem, here is how I fixed it:

- Deleted dns zone for server.domain.com
    - Went to change hostname and entered hostname
    - click enter and then clicked to add A entery for host name.

This made that box stop poping up each time I logged in.

3. cbservers

cbservers Member

Tried that, didn't stop it.

I have search these forums and the rackshack forums, tried all the fixes, nope still get that annoying popup!

can't someone here tell me what triggers this popup so we can turn it off, or fix whatever the problem is.

4. jdarow

jdarow Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Check and make sure you have an A entry in your main domain dns zone for the host name.

5. cweb

cweb Member

Hi :)

I guess this question is one that could have any one of several answers, however, we had this problem recently on a new box of ours and after lots of head banging like you, it turned out to be as simple as the domain name we made for the server hadn't fully propogated yet.

So, if you happen to have created a new domain for it, then this might be your problem.

Hope you work it out!

6. intel352

intel352 Well-Known Member

excellent!!! thanks man, you fixed my problem, that was getting friggin annoying :D

7. djalpha

djalpha Active Member

Yes thank you

Yes it's worked. Thank you, I try many way but this way real solution and message must be reference solution for many same problem messages.
    thx again.