The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostname & Master Domain Name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wtgotllc, Aug 26, 2014.

1. wtgotllc

wtgotllc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have installed CentOS 6.5 on my server; when naming host name during install I called it wtgot.domain.com. I installed cPanel/WHM. I created name servers ns1.domain.com & ns2.domain.com. Now I need to set up my first Account; my account which should be domain.com.

Questions

First Question.
    Will having the hostname (wtgot.domain.com) be a problem when I add Master account domain.com on the same machine?

Second Question.
    Can I purchase a single ssl certificate for the host name (wtgot.domain.com) and install it for cPanel & WHM services; like mail ftp and so on? And at the same time purchase another ssl certificate for Domain name domain.com on the same machine.

David Daniels

2. server9host

server9host Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

For first question : You can add domain.com domain under your server, you need to select " Overwrite any existing DNS zones for the account." from DNS Settings.

Second question : I am not sure about it. but it's possible using separate dedicated ip to hostname and domain name.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

1. Yes, it's okay to create an account for the domain name associated with your hostname, as long as you are not creating an account for the hostname itself.

2. Yes, it's acceptable to purchase separate certificates for your hostname and for the domain name associated with your hostname. The previous poster is incorrect, as a dedicated IP address is no longer required for SSL on systems that support SNI (e.g. CentOS 6). Remember that certificates for services such as cPanel/WHM are installed via:

"WHM Home » Service Configuration » Manage Service SSL Certificates"

Thank you.

4. server9host

server9host Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Thanks michael to noted me. :)