The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostname not resolving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Keelan, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Keelan

Keelan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Like others i am having a hostname resolving issue. I have googled and searched the forums. This is my finds so far:

I moved my WHM/cPanel installation to a new server. After changing the nameserver IP's and then after a little while the domains to started pointing to the new server.

However the hostname doesn't resolve to an IP address.

I ran:
    I also check:
    Also:
    I checked the "Add an A Entry for your hostname" in WHM:
    I checked and rebuilt dnsconfig
    I am really not sure what else to check, i have rebooted the server. The domains pointing to the name servers work fine. THe problem i am having is i route all cpanel access and SSL configs for the emails through https://xxx.example.com because this has the SSL cert. I have compared the settings to the older server and they are the same except the IP address.

Centos 6.4 WHM 11.40.0 Build 19

XXX.XXX.XXX = Server IPs
    xxx.example.com = hostname
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Have you verified the domain name associated with the hostname is using name servers with IP addresses associated with the new server? You can use a website such as IntoDNS to verify this if you are not comfortable using the "dig" utility on the command line.

Thank you.

3. Keelan

Keelan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It turns out on the:

"Add an A Entry for your hostname" in WHM:

It already showed the above but on the domain example.com there was no A record for xxx. So i was told by lovely cPanel support to click the "Add" button again, so the A entry was written to the domain. After a little while everything began to work.

I just presumed that it showing the IP already there that it was correct. Really i should have been looking under the records for example.com.