The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostname Problems... POP and MRTG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stugster, Mar 13, 2004.

1. stugster

stugster Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I recently changed the hostname of my server from alpha.Tempest2.com to alpha.tempest2.com (this is likely unrelated however.).

A while later, I realised that a lot of my customers (other than those using the Tempest2.com) were no longer receiving POP mail. They could however send mail from the server - but not receive.

--------------------------------------------------
    ministry@alpha.Tempest2.com
    (generated from ministry@ministryofcode.com)
    Unrouteable address
    jays@alpha.Tempest2.com
    (generated from jays@indegoserver.co.uk)
    Unrouteable address

Why mail should be routed through the alpha.Tempest2.com domain is beyond me anyway. All I know, is that mail is no longer working, and when you send something to their e-mail addresses, it is bounced back with the above error.

Now, as soon as I realised this, I did the normal thing, changed hostname back to what it was - but this doesnt seem to have done anything (and anyway, the routed domain name is Tempest2 and not tempest2 - which was what i changed it to [lower case t]).

So I go on our little page for mrtg which calls upon server hostnames, and I find that it is now no longer working (for some bizarre reason).. here's the error for that:

========================================
    root@alpha [/var/named]# env LANG=C /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg /usr/local/mrtg-2/mrtg2.cfg
    SNMP Error:
    no response received
    SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "alpha.tempest2.com" [69.44.104.128].161)
    community: "tempestsnmp"
    request ID: 861356470
    PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
    timeout: 2s
    retries: 5
    backoff: 1)
    at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 487
    SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.2 ifOutOctets.2 sysUptime sysName on tempestsnmp@alpha.tempest2.com::::::v4only
    at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg line 1835
    WARNING: skipping because at least the query for ifInOctets.2 on alpha.tempest2.com did not succeed
    WARNING: no data for ifInOctets&ifOutOctets:tempestsnmp@alpha.tempest2.com. Skipping further queries for Host alpha.tempest2.com in this round.
    ERROR: Target[alpha.tempest2.com_2][_IN_] ' $target->[0]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data
    ERROR: Target[alpha.tempest2.com_2][_OUT_] ' $target->[0]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data
    ========================================

Any ideas guys?

2. stugster

stugster Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have since been informed by customers that some email addresses (domains) are working - but others are not.