The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostname problems.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gmax, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Gmax

Gmax Registered

Hello,

I'm having some crazy issues with getting my site to work. I've googled and looked up this forum and I can't find specific answers. Maybe someone can help me out.

Here are some facts:

I'm hosting (trying) a website on beachserver.com's server.
    -They installed WHM/Cpanel for me.
    -I have not created cpanel account within WHM. I'm not going to use this server for reselling purposes.

I just bought a domain name at godaddy and have it point to my server's IP.
    -DNS hosted at godaddy.com. If I'd host it at ns1.geodns.net (beachserver) the domain would not point to machine's IP.

Here are the issue(s), which I feel might have to do with the way things are set up right now. I'm new at this.

I uploaded my whole content to /home/usr/public_html

When I go to my site (via www.com or IP) the default page appears with "Great Success!" etc...
    I've put index.html files in various places and it still wouldn't point to my content.

I've read that if DNS is not resolving properly the default page will keep appearing. It looks like everything is set correctly but I'm still puzzled as to why I'm still getting default page.

Thank you for your help! I appreaciate it!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Do you mean ServerBeach? They've got a forum with lots of helpful topics on this sort of thing you might want to have a run thru.
    http://forums.serverbeach.com

You really should (IMHO) consider setting up with at least one account and give that account full root access if you like and use that account instead of root for anything unless needed.

Your site's files would go in a directory like this though:
    /home/accountname/public_html/

Ask for QT over on ServerBeach forums. I'm sure you'll find her very helpful and friendly to get you going.
    Tell her 'hey' from me. ;)