The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostname question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dakt, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Dakt

Dakt Member

Hi

I'm a bit confused and I hope someone can help.

I have a server already running WHM/Cpanel with the hostname server1.mydomain.com. It's been running for 2yrs and works fine.

Now, I am creating a new server which will also run WHM/Cpanel and I want it to have the hostname server2.mydomain.com.

How can I do this? At the moment I have the bare CentOS 5 install ready for WHM but one of the prerequisites for WHM install is to set the hostname.

I've tried searching on these forums but have not found anything which really helps.

I hope someone has the answer or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Dakt

2. binoy1983

binoy1983 Registered

Hi Dakt,

First of all your hostname should be registered in the public registarar and in the command line interface, you should apply command like hostname <server2.mydomain.com>. I think this will help regarding your quereis. Ifr you need any further nore help, you may contact me at binoy.varghese@slashome.com

Thanks for your time

-----
    With best regards
    Binoy Varghese

3. BlueZebra

BlueZebra Well-Known Member

Nothing much, just give an A entry for server02.mydomain.com at the name servers of mydomain.com and make it your hostname.
    You can also configure the IP directly at your domain registrar. Just make sure the hostname is resolving to the correct IP address

4. Dakt

Dakt Member

Thanks both of you for your replies. I'll try it and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.