Hostname record not resolving on two name servers

TDP

May 6, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I recently setup DNS clustering with two additional name servers. These servers are running the latest RELEASE tier of cPanel DNSONLY. So far, everything for the most part is working correctly. Every record in nearly all DNS zones is resolvable from these two new servers. However, the hostname zone for the primary web server is not resolving any records. When I run a dig on the hostname (which uses the srv1 subdomain, like srv1.example.com) at ns1, and ns2 which are hosted on the web server itself, it resolves fine. But when I run a dig on this zone at the new ns3, and ns4 servers, they return no records.

Below is how I have the DNS cluster setup.

srv1.example.com --> ns3.example.com (Set to synchronize role) (Setup Reverse Trust Relationship enabled)
srv1.example.com --> ns4.example.com (Set to synchronize role) (Setup Reverse Trust Relationship enabled)

I have tried re-syncing the DNS records, but this doesn't work. I've tried incrementing the serial number for the srv1.example.com DNS zone by one, this didn't work either. The updated serial number did sync across the cluster though. The DNS zones across all servers are the same. So, this is why I'm confused as to how this zone's records resolve fine from ns1/ns2 which are hosted on the web server, but not on ns3/ns4, which are hosted on two separate servers. What would cause them to resolve ok at the web server, but not the two new additional name servers?

Searching around the forums, the only solution I've seen for similar issues to this is just delete, and re-add the zone. I'd prefer not to have to do this if at all possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
For the hostname does the root domain exist on the servers? For example if I had the domain example.com on the server and made the hostname server.example.com - are there separate records for both of those?

TDP

May 6, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
For the hostname does the root domain exist on the servers? For example if I had the domain example.com on the server and made the hostname server.example.com - are there separate records for both of those?
Hello,

Thank you for replying. The root domain does exist on the servers. The srv1.example.com has it's own separate zone entirely. Should this be combined with the root domain zone?