The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hostname server issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by irishrow, Sep 11, 2006.

1. irishrow

irishrow Member

At the urging of my new hosting company, goDaddy, I used the same domain (dciwebworks.com) as the custom nameserver for BOTH my old server and new server, both using cPanel.

I've created my custom DNs as NS3.DCIWEBWORKS.COM, NS4.DCIWEBWORKS.COM (NS1 and NS2 are still pointed to the old server).

I created a new host name on the new VPS of server2.dciwebworks.com. I've left the DNS definition on dciwebworks.com at the old server.

I've gotten this error several times:

The server was unable to lookup an an A entry for its hostname (server2.dciwebworks.com). This is generally because the entry was never added. However this could also be the result of your nameserver(s) being down. If you would like to attempt to automaticlly add the entry,

I've added entries for both ns3 and ns4 but wonder if there is a place I can go to to see if in fact they are properly set up? The display only shows the NS3 nameserver. I've forced an add of the NS4 and defined the ip's, but the error has come back several times...

The goDaddy team now says I need to change the DNS registry on dciwebworks.com to the new server, but my question is, "What will that mean to reliability on the old server, since customers will still be on IT for another week or more?"

Any ideas on this issue, or is it not a problem, or should I go ahead and create a new custom nameserver with another domain name and use it on the new server?

2. moogle

moogle Well-Known Member

When you look in the DNS zone for the domain is there an entry there for the hostname?

3. neonix

neonix Well-Known Member

Hi,

Add the hostname in the DNS zone of DCIWEBWORKS.COM

If the main I.P. of your new server is xx.xx.xx.xx

server2.dciwebworks.com. A record xx.xx.xx.xx
    server2 A record xx.xx.xx.xx

Restart Bind.

Logout > Login > Then click on the button to automatically attempt to add the entry.

Restart Bind.

4. darjohn

darjohn Member

Hi Nenonix,
    Can you tell me if the DNS server (Bind) when installing cPanel, the dns server will be installed too in the server?
    thanks in advance.

5. sumith

sumith Well-Known Member

Answer: Yes :D

6. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    dnsreport.com