Edrick Smith

Oct 9, 2017
Boston, MA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
So I noticed that although we have since changed the main IP address of the cPanel server twice its hostname still reflects the original IP.

What I mean is for example; mycpanel1.theserver.com originally had an IP ending in .155 for example

It has since changed to .222 then again to .44 (example)
---

I have checked the DNS configuration for theserver.com in cPanel where the A record had been created for that hostname. But I have now noticed that when you ping that host, do a DNS cache check on it, etc... it still resolves to that old IP.

Now this IP has not been used in 4 months, so this isn't something I just changed. I've checked with the domain registrar and I don't have any records setup there for it.

---

I've also checked under the "add an a entry for your hostname" in WHM but the record already is correct and there

kernow

Jul 23, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I hesitate to answer as your a 'data center provider' and probably know more than me............ But If your sure the registrar has no A record for the host name then try doing a grep search for that IP address on your server(s)

Edrick Smith

Oct 9, 2017
Boston, MA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I hesitate to answer as your a 'data center provider' and probably know more than me............ But If your sure the registrar has no A record for the host name then try doing a grep search for that IP address on your server(s)
Hi Kernow,

What I'm trying to determine is if this is a cPanel related issue that a setting was missed or where else it could be getting stuck, it does not seem to be related to a configuration file specifically as it is not an issue of the server resolving it incorrectly. If I try to ping it from the server it resolves correctly, it is from the outside world that the issue exists.

I've already checked the records for the domain in question that the server hostname is configured under and all is correct there and there is nothing on the registrar end that is setup.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
You need to check the A record for the hostname where DNS Is hosted for the domain, which doesn't always mean at the registrar. So if you host DNS on the server locally, I'd suggest checking to ensure the hostname doesn't have an A record in the root domain's DNS zone file. If it doesn't, you'd need to check the zone file for the hostname.

You'd be able to identify where the DNS is hosted for sure by checking the root domain's nameservers.

Code:
dig ns domain.tld

Edrick Smith

Oct 9, 2017
Boston, MA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
You need to check the A record for the hostname where DNS Is hosted for the domain, which doesn't always mean at the registrar. So if you host DNS on the server locally, I'd suggest checking to ensure the hostname doesn't have an A record in the root domain's DNS zone file. If it doesn't, you'd need to check the zone file for the hostname.

You'd be able to identify where the DNS is hosted for sure by checking the root domain's nameservers.

Code:
dig ns domain.tld
Hi Lauren,

The DNS is hosted by our cPanel server which is the same one in question with having this issue. The DNS is properly configured both on the WHM side as mentioned doing the check for the record for the add a record for your hostname, I also have checked the DNS configuration for that zone. I've verified that there is no entry in the DNS configuration for the domain that points to that old IP, I also have the A record in there with the correct current IP for the hostname of the server.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
So, for hostnames, there are sometimes two records. It's a conflict that occurs sometimes. A zone file just for the hostname and one for the root domain which contains an A record for the hostname. What occurs when there's two of these sometimes is the wrong zone file is referenced. This HAS to be a DNS related issue. There's no other explanation for it. I'd also perform a dig request on the nameservers form outside the server to ensure they're pointing to the correct IP's as well:

Code:
dig a ns.domain.tld
If you have a DNS cluster, it's possible a stale record exists. If you'd like to PM the hostname to me I can investigate it a bit further or you can open a ticket with us as it's pretty tough to investigate this stuff without the domain name.

Edrick Smith

Oct 9, 2017
Boston, MA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
So, for hostnames, there are sometimes two records. It's a conflict that occurs sometimes. A zone file just for the hostname and one for the root domain which contains an A record for the hostname. What occurs when there's two of these sometimes is the wrong zone file is referenced. This HAS to be a DNS related issue. There's no other explanation for it. I'd also perform a dig request on the nameservers form outside the server to ensure they're pointing to the correct IP's as well:

Code:
dig a ns.domain.tld
If you have a DNS cluster, it's possible a stale record exists. If you'd like to PM the hostname to me I can investigate it a bit further or you can open a ticket with us as it's pretty tough to investigate this stuff without the domain name.
Yes that is my thought obviously being a DNS issue, however for the life of me I can't find where this old reference is being stored.

I did a dig on the main domain, the name servers and the server host name externally.

The only one that comes back incorrect is the server name hostname.

So my question then is where are possible references that this could be stuck? There is no DNS cluster

1) I've verified as mentioned in Add an A Entry for your Hostname; that both already reports the correct IP when I go there and when I add it says an entry already exists.
2) Both from cPanel and WHM I've verified that in the edit DNS Zones that the ONLY references to that hostname is pointing to the correct IP address and that there's no other references to that IP.
3) The server it's self is correctly resolving to the IP address of the server, it is externally that it is not.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Yea that's a stumper - I'd never try to lookup an IP address locally as the server will resolve it based on what you're looking up. i.e., I could perform two digs externally in this situation and probably get different results:

Code:
dig a server.domain.tld
Code:
dig a @myserverIP server.domain.tld
I think in order to pursue this further I'd need to know the domain name as I noted prior or you'd need to open a ticket. But if you do provide me the domain name please ensure you do it in a private message using the conversations tool next to your username (the envelope)