The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostname vs. main domain in Whm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boboss, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Boboss

Boboss Active Member

Ok,

I have a question:

Can the domain name being used for the hostname be used to host a site on CPanel?

let me clarify. Suppose mu domain name is: "domain.com"
    And suppose I used as server hostname the following: "myhost.domain.com"

Can I, in this case, still use "domain.com" to host a site?

The reason why I am asking this is that I am trying to register an .FR domain, but the registration is being rejected by the .FR registry due to "server misconfiguration". I get this error message:

This error message is really not clear at all, and I am trying to determine what, on this server, needs to be done so that the .FR registry can validate the domain registration. My suspicion is perhaps that they want the domain "domain.com" to exist as a site, so that the "otherdomain.fr" can be registrable.

The reason why I am assuming this is that previously, I used to have Ensim Servers, and these never had any issue with .FR domain registrations. But on the Ensim servers, it was possible for a site to exist for "domain.com" even when the hostname was "myhost.domain.com".

I don't know if Cpanel allows for this possibility, and if this would help the .FR domain registration process to work. All I know is that the .FR registry wants the domain being registered to be pre-configured on the server. Which means I need to create an account on the server for the domain being registered. BUT, the problem remains that even after creating an account for the domai being registered, I am still getting the error above.

So, I am assuming that I should perhaps also create a site on the server that would be based on the main server domain, so that there would be a site using "domain.com" while the hostname would be "myhost.domain.com".

Thanks for your assistance, guys.

2. ujr

ujr Well-Known Member

Absolutely. But your error indicates that your NS record contains a CNAME. You should use A records for NS server entries. Make sure you set your hostname and NS servers up properly. The easiest way is to go through the setup process in Main >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel/WHM Setup