The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostname... WHM Inıtial Setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blanktruth, Apr 4, 2012.

1. blanktruth

blanktruth Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am quite new to self managed servers, therefore please excuse my newbie questions...

I am trying to complete the initial setup of WHM, but I am not sure what to write to This Server's Hostname part...

Do I need a domain name specifically for this? If so what do I need to do with that domain? I mean name server settings of the domain or other things like subdomain setup etc?

Thank you in advance...

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    From the Change Hostname section of WHM:
    WHM > Networking Setup > Change Hostname

3. blanktruth

blanktruth Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for your reply...

Lets consider I have a domain name like creamediadesign.com

What should I do with the settings of that domain name? Like nameservers, should I direct the domain to my server, if so how? Should I create a subdomain like test.creamediadesign.com ?

Thank you...

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Did you provide a domain name when you picked up the new server? Lets assume you did and that domain is called: yourdomain.com

For hostname as the description states:
    "It is important to choose a hostname that you will not be using for any account."

test.yourdomain.com might be used for a sub domain at some point so that might not be a great hostname to use. But you could. You do not have to add a sub domain to create the hostname here, no. You could even use your forums nickname if you wanted: blanktruth.yourdomain.com for example.

The documentation covers this setup stuff pretty good, you might like to have a closer look at it here:
    WHM Initial Setup - cPanel Documentation

Here are docs with several domain name registrars listed with brief explanations on how to add nameservers for your domain and point them to your server. For more detailed descriptions you might want to check with your domain name registrar.

Registering Private Nameservers - cPanel Documentation

You might want to check with your Hosting Provider as well for assistance with setup as they may have specific ways of doing things thru their own panel.

5. blanktruth

blanktruth Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you very much for your reply...

It became clear that I can not use a domain name where a web site is hosted...

I have read the documents before posting here, but as I am a newbie the information there is not clear enough for me I am afraid...

The part I do not understand and not written even in the Domain Registrar's documentation is, which IP addresses will I use to direct that new domain... Consider my servers ip is 44.44.44.44 will I use this as NameServer ip? And usually there are 2 ip addresses as name servers like ns1 and ns2...

I am a bit lost....

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Your Hosting Provider is better equipped to help you with IPs. You should have 2 IPs at a minimum. There are posts on these forums that can explain ways to use only one IP for both nameservers, but involves more work than I think you want to get involved with. It should be easy enough to purchase at least one more IP from your Hosting Provider. Once they've provided you with the second IP, you'll use those for your nameservers.

So, briefly, once you've got those two IPs set on your server (your Hosting Provider should be able to help there) you'll go here:
    WHM> Server Configuration > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup, now scroll to bottom of page.

In the first area, type in ns1.yourserverdomain.com and then click Assign an IP address. The system will look for and find those IPs your Hosting Provider, provided. :)

Come back to that same page, at bottom and click the Add an A entry for this Nameserver, next.

Come back and add in another. ns2.yourserverdomain.com and click Assign an IP Address once again, and then go back and click Add an A entry for this Nameserver.

With that done, now you have 2 IPs, and you've created two nameservers.

Hop on over to your domain name registrar and set things up there to point the domain and nameservers to your new server.