The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostnames Don't Make Sense

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kray, Aug 24, 2015.

1. kray

kray Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is it required to use a subdomain as the server's hostname? This causes a DNS zone for the subdomain which isn't proper. For instance, I can't seem to resolve my server's hostname. Can we use a domain rather than a subdomain? The main domain should have a DNS zone and specify subdomains in it, not a zone for a subdomain. I'm using BIND and clustering. All my records are synced. In the zone (server.mydomain.com) there's an A record pointed to the IP but it still won't resolve. I assume this is because subdomains are supposed to be in the zone of a main domain.

2. kray

kray Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What if my hostname is server1.myhost.com and I create an account for myhost.com? I don't think there's supposed to be a zone file for a subdomain and it's not resolving.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's actually acceptable to have a separate zone for a subdomain. You mentioned the hostname is not resolving. Does the domain name it's associated with use name servers associated with that particular cPanel server or cluster?

Thank you.