The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hostnames on multiple servers...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starteck2002, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Starteck2002

Starteck2002 Member

I have a number of servers, our main domain was hosted on server1.xxxxxx.com

I recently purchased a newer faster server and decided to move our main domain to it, since then we have been getting mail delivery failures on all the other servers but not the new server.... None of our server hostnames resolve to anything (the new server being the exception)

I know this is something to do with the A entries for all the other servers not being on the new server, does anyone know of a step by step guide to help me add these other hostnames?

Any help is really appreciated :)

Edited to add more info: all nameservers are resolving fine, it's just the hostnames....

#1 Starteck2002, Jun 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

On whichever server holds the authoritative DNS zone for the domain xxxxxx.com (i.e the first one that appears at as the nameserver at your registrar for the domain) you need to add an A record into that zone for each and every subdomain (in your case hostname) and point it to their respective main IP addresses. You should never create zones in DNS for subdomain.maindomain.com

3. Starteck2002

Starteck2002 Member

Just got it all sorted Chirpy - thanks for the response. My problem is that i couldn't do this myself as I just didn't know where/how to make the changes...