The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hotlink protection and IDM

Discussion in 'Security' started by LAZer, Jun 20, 2014.

1. LAZer

LAZer Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    at net :D
    hi , i have a question regardin hotlink protection and blocking internet download manager ( IDM ) direct link downloads .
    when i enable hotlink protection , if i download a link using browser , it will work fine it will show a 403 forbidden for [f] flag or redirect for [r,nc] flag.

but when i copy that link to IDM , it can easily download and resume the file.
    so , is there any easy solution for blocking IDM direct download links ? or i should just use php and session and cookies or use a database for saving download links and generate a random file name for each session of download to prevent idm ?

i have read that idm uses some specific header and i can block idm using that header details but i don't want to block idm for users that start downloading from site. i only want to block idm direct link downloads when the link is not entered from the allowed domain.

Web Hosting Talk - View Single Post - prevent direct file download but allow php download via htaccess

what do you suggest?
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are welcome to try implementing a measure like this and reporting back the outcome.

Thank you.