The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotlink protection stopped working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shacker23, May 2, 2006.

1. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

A user wanted to know why the Hotlink Protection option didn't seem to do anything. I went and tried it on one of my own domains:

- Enabled and activated it.
    - Inlined an image from that domain from another domain (totally different server).

No protection whatsoever. The .htaccess file is created and looks correct in every way. Any theories? Could this have broken in a recent cpanel upgrade?

Also, one apparent error in the UI for hotlink protection. On the config page, it says

"Extensions to allow (seperate by commas):"

But after you click Activate, you get a success message that says:

"Protected Extensions: jpg,jpeg,gif,png,bmp"

So which is it : Are these extensions allowed or denied? They should be denied, but the word "allow" is somewhat confusing.

Thanks,
    Scot

2. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

I see what's going on - cpanel only knows how to write an .htaccess that covers an entire user account. But an add-on domain is apache-mapped below that point in the directory tree, so the .htaccess never gets seen. Seems like the only solution is to tell customers to maintain .htaccess files for add-on domains manually. Lame.

My own test failed for a different reason (an .htaccess in a subdir was turning rewrite off).

Scot