hotmail blackholes mails

brianoz

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm sure that is correct.. but. These are not ..repeat NOT forwarded mails. At the risk of overstating this problem...
Ross,

What everyone's trying to tell you that you're missing here is that you are seeing the result of spam being forwarded from user accounts. In other words, because spam has PREVIOUSLY been forwarded, hotmail has marked your server as being a spam source. Thus your new messages are getting blocked.

In other words, the problem is with the mail getting forwarded, and the only way for that to be fixed is for hotmail to learn how to distinguish between forwarded spam and a direct spam source.

Kind of a secondary result, I know.

5stars

Oct 10, 2006
I feel sad reading this:(
I feel like I'm never going to solve this, when I read that so many people have the same problems.
I am running to the level of frustration as I'm not being able to solve this issue.
I have set up the SPF records and not in any way, I done it like the link from the post master asked me to do it.
I made sure that under the mail section from the DNS report is spotles.
I have tryed with webmail to send I have tryed with outlook..........No results.
Under the exim log it apears fine, no errors, just the transaction with a big "complete" at the end, but my mails never make it on hotmail, not even a single mail has passsed.
I guess no one solved the problem to give out the big magic formula.
I wonder how some don't have the same problem, it's amesing that some manage to get even a single mail passed the security filters at msn.
It's funny, I use to run a server on WIN 2003 with a separate SMTP server with a PHP script to handle confirmation E-mails , and it use to work with hotmail just fine, maybe hotmail has issues with exim? maybe it is the header, I'm not used to exim, i find it very dificult to handdle it and to go in to it's conf file.
It must be the header, does exim send out a different header from other SMTP servers?

I mean in the end, what can we do? i can't belive there isn't a solution, there must be one.

dchepishev

PartnerNOC
Oct 19, 2005
I feel sad reading this:(
I feel like I'm never going to solve this, when I read that so many people have the same problems.
I am running to the level of frustration as I'm not being able to solve this issue.
I have set up the SPF records and not in any way, I done it like the link from the post master asked me to do it.
I made sure that under the mail section from the DNS report is spotles.
I have tryed with webmail to send I have tryed with outlook..........No results.
Under the exim log it apears fine, no errors, just the transaction with a big "complete" at the end, but my mails never make it on hotmail, not even a single mail has passsed.
I guess no one solved the problem to give out the big magic formula.
I wonder how some don't have the same problem, it's amesing that some manage to get even a single mail passed the security filters at msn.
It's funny, I use to run a server on WIN 2003 with a separate SMTP server with a PHP script to handle confirmation E-mails , and it use to work with hotmail just fine, maybe hotmail has issues with exim? maybe it is the header, I'm not used to exim, i find it very dificult to handdle it and to go in to it's conf file.
It must be the header, does exim send out a different header from other SMTP servers?

I mean in the end, what can we do? i can't belive there isn't a solution, there must be one.
You can not blame exim about this. It is pretty rfc compliant.
The other thing is that you just can do nothing. It does not depend on you. Just advise your user not to use hotmail. This is the only thing you can do.

lloyd_tennison

Mar 12, 2004
Have you signed up for their different spam services and tracking services? They are free and some only take a few minutes.

Smart Network Data Services is the one that shows and tracks you email by IP.

Here is the link to their postmaster helpdesk, etc.

http://postmaster.msn.com/Services.aspx

midavadim

Registered
Sep 8, 2005
Hi all!

If bounced mails contain following error:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<[email protected]> SIZE=1899:
host mx3.hotmail.com [65.54.244.72]: 550 Your e-mail was rejected for policy reasons on this gateway. Reasons for rejection may be related to content such as obscene language, graphics, or spam-like characteristics (or) other reputation problems. For sender troubleshooting information, please go to http://postmaster.msn.com. Please note:
if you are an end-user please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for assistance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and you have SPF and PTR record then most probably you do not have all needed headers as it is requested in http://postmaster.msn.com/FAQ.aspx

2. Look for these lines of text in the message header: X-Originating-IP and X-Originating-E-mail.
For example:
Sat 02 June 2001 13:47:27 PST
X-Originating-IP: [123.4.567.89]
X-Originating-E-mail: [[email protected]]
[email protected]
3. If you are unable to locate both the X-Originating-IP and X-Originating-E-mail lines in the header of the message, this indicates that the message has been forged and is not from a legitimate account. MSN Hotmail and Windows Live welcome notification of these abuses, but cannot take action against individuals outside of our membership.

So to enable more X-Headers you should go to WHM:

Service Configuration -> Exim Configuration Editor
and enable checkboxes:

\/ Verify the existence of email senders.
\/ Use callouts to verify the existence of email senders.

and press SAVE

If fixed the problem for me. Also do not forget to add your email address to Whitelist on your hotmail account.

astounding

Aug 11, 2006
Has anyone found a solution to this issue because I have the exact same.

IE: New composed emails don't deliver to hotmail.com.

But if someone sends me an email from hotmail and I reply to them, then they get it.

Thank you.
Andre

mello21century

Registered
Sep 2, 2006
Has anyone found a solution to this issue because I have the exact same.

IE: New composed emails don't deliver to hotmail.com.

But if someone sends me an email from hotmail and I reply to them, then they get it.

Thank you.
Andre
I got the same problem too although my mails deliver good to gmail inbox
and I add an spf recordes for all domains, I let the hotmail know about the records, I add a domain key and A record for the hostname and the main domain on the server
I add A records for both nameservers