The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How apache processes are getting diffrent usernames

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by raghuni, Feb 16, 2005.

1. raghuni

raghuni Registered

Hi,
    I observed one nice concept in cpanel, which is very usefull for all system administrators, i.e
    Normally every apache process will get usename as apache and groupname as apache or the username and groupname with which httpd.conf is configured.

But when i observed in cpanel, It is giving site admin username for the apache process.

Here i would like to know, how this can be achived. i.e do we need any modules to be separate installed, or any configuration to be modified.

Please let me know how this can be done on non cpanel servers.

Thank you,
    Raghu Ni.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

3. raghuni

raghuni Registered

Hi, chirpy

Thank you for your reply. Ichecked your given url:, It seems this will work only for CGI and SSI. but what about other normal scripts and html pages.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    <Using suEXEC

Virtual Hosts:
    One way to use the suEXEC wrapper is through the User and Group directives in VirtualHost definitions. By setting these directives to values different from the main server user ID, all requests for CGI resources will be executed as the User and Group defined for that <VirtualHost>. If only one or neither of these directives are specified for a <VirtualHost> then the main server userid is assumed.

User directories:
    The suEXEC wrapper can also be used to execute CGI programs as the user to which the request is being directed. This is accomplished by using the "~" character prefixing the user ID for whom execution is desired. The only requirement needed for this feature to work is for CGI execution to be enabled for the user and that the script must meet the scrutiny of the security checks above.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you observe these two paragraphs, it clearly saying how to do for CGI scripts. But i want to setup the same for other files also.

Please help me in this.
    Thank you,
    Raghu Ni.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Normal pages are always viewed using the username and group specified in httpd.conf (the user nobody on cPanel servers). For PHP scripts, you need to install phpsuexec to have the same protection as suexec.

5. raghuni

raghuni Registered

Hi,

chirpy

Thankyou agin for your valuable information, But what about html and others. i.e is there any provison for other than php and cgi files.

Thank you,
    Raghu N.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Not that I'm aware of.