How are cPAddons updated? Documentation incorrect?

kitchin

Sep 18, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The doc for "How are cPAddons updated?" says (at All Documentation)
You can manage specific configuration options for your cPAddons using the Manage cPAddons feature located at Main >> cPanel >> Manage cPAddons in your WHM interface. This feature will allow you to choose which cPAddons you wish to update automatically.

These cPAddons are updated by a cronjob that runs nightly. This cronjob updates the cPAddon repository for the entire server.
Is this right? I don't see the automatic option at "Manage cPAddons" in my WHM 11.30. Maybe my host has configged it out or something? Is there a cronjob?

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
There is a cronjob to notify you of installations:

/usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/cpaddons_report.pl

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Well, I suppose the Docs could be read in different ways there sure. I think it makes sense to me, let me try and expand on it a bit if I can. :)

You can manage specific configuration options for your cPAddons using the Manage cPAddons feature located at Main >> cPanel >> Manage cPAddons in your WHM interface.
That part means if you go to that location you can:

This feature will allow you to choose which cPAddons you wish to update automatically.
.. from that interface mentioned just before that line, you can manually Upgrade your sites.

In the interface mentioned, you see multiple drop down menus, the second has an option to "Upgrade all installs that need it" Using this you would be updating all installs that need it.

This last line is the confuser I guess:

These cPAddons are updated by a cronjob that runs nightly. This cronjob updates the cPAddon repository for the entire server.
The cron updates the repository so that you can, at your leisure: "Upgrade all installs that need it"

The cron does not touch your sites, only the files needed to upgrade those sites.