The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How backups work?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Samar, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Samar

Samar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello everyone,

I am i bit new in this thing so want some info from you guys. Hope someone will help me.

What i want to know is
    suppose you have setuped backups on a ftp location and they are working right.

and after a few days a client wants to restore his backup.

what i know is that the automatic backup system makes backups of whole cpanel and all clients together.
    SO how will i restore the backup of a single user

and also are Incremental Backups will do this or if i chose to do compression then that can also work with this?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

When backing up accounts to a remote FTP server, cPanel will store the individual account backup files on the specified directory of the remote server. In order to restore an account from one of those backup files, you have to manually move the backup file to the cPanel server. Ensure the backup file is uploaded to the root or home directory of your cPanel server. You can then restore it using:

Code:
    # /scripts/restorepkg username
    Or;

Code:
    "WHM >> Backup >> Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file"
    Incremental backups are not compatible with backups made to remote FTP servers.

Thank you.

3. Samar

Samar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the details
    I tried to restore a test account through whm but it says account already exist how to solve this problem?

4. nesanjoseph

nesanjoseph Active Member

Hi,

If you are trying to restore the entire account using the command "# /scripts/restorepkg username" or through "WHM >> Backup >> Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file" , it is mandatory that the account you are trying to restore MUST NOT be existing in the cPanel server. These two will work if you have terminated the account and then the restore is attempted.

Do you want to restore only a few files of that account [without having to recreate the account] or do you have any other concerns like this? You may have to try using the option "WHM >> Backup >> Restore Backups" and then choose the backup frequency that you set for backing up your server.

Regards,
    Nesan Joseph R.

5. Samar

Samar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually i have just started my webhosting site and i want to know if some of my user wants his backup to be restored then how will i do that?

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You'd have to use a forced restore via command line:

Code:
    /scripts/restorepkg --force username
    Where username is the cPanel username. This will allow you to restore over an existing site without terminating it first.