The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Best to Migrate to 3rd Party and Which 3rd Party Server?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jazee, Aug 25, 2016.

1. jazee

jazee Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am anticipating of going to more of an Enterprise Cloud Hosting in the future and most likely I'd go with Google Cloud. Like many services like that, they block port 25.

I use a 3rd party SPAM blocking service that allows me to change the port on my email server but that would only solve inbound right? I still couldn't have the server send outbound (via user or webserver generated) because they need to connect with the target mail server on port 25 usually. So I assume the only complete solution is to use a third party server that works on a port other than 25?

I know one of the first recommendations is to use Google Apps of course. I've been use to all these years having free unlimited email accounts and controlling them for all domains right from Cpanel. I don't mind though having to go to a 3rd part server to administrate my email. A lot of my customers do that so whenever I move hosts it is much less complicated since I don't have to move their email accounts.

1) What are recommended 3rd party email services that will work with other ports than 25 and are not very expensive, have good support and control panel, backup, etc.

2) How best to move all the email (I use IMAP) from my current WHM/Cpanel server to the 3rd party server?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, it's true you will face issues with connecting to remote mail servers if outbound traffic to port 25 is blocked.

Google Apps is a common email provider that customers use to handle offsite email hosting. I'll leave this thread open for other users to add feedback.

This depends on the software used by the remote mail server. IMAPSync is a common utility used if sufficient access to the remote mail server is available:

Official imapsync migration tool ( release 1.727 )

Thank you.

3. jazee

jazee Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the great info. While the Imapsync website looks pretty hokey, a Google search confirms it's the most widely used tool of this nature. I thought this article had a good overview on all the options and why ImapSync is really the way to go.

Migrating from private IMAP to Google Apps Email - Joshua Lyman.com

However wouldn't some of these services like Google Apps for Business get pretty pricey depending on the number of users you have? If you had a small business with 12 user email accounts, wouldn't that be 12 X $50/user per year or $600/year (or $50/month?)

I can get a 500GB VPS (Storage Instance - 2GB RAM, 3GB bandwidth) at Vultr for example at $20/month + $15 for Cpanel license and use it solely as an email server and it could support a lot more than 12 users, and for multiple companies/domains. Seems the Microsoft/Google email hosting services are more geared towards individuals or companies that don't mind paying to outsource.

But I suppose this goes back to the question if you can configure the MTA in Cpanel though to allow relay on one port other than 25, but do outbound on port 25, then why not just setup a Cpanel instance solely for email?. For me inbound is no issue since MxGuarddog is on port 25 put it forwards my inbound email to any port on any server I want.

Couldn't you use port 587?

#3 jazee, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator