The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I ban people from running TeamSpeak servers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by QuickFix, Jan 4, 2005.

1. QuickFix

QuickFix Registered

I just realised that somebody has installed a TeamSpeak server on some free webspace I gave them without my permission. I found out because it was draining my servers resources.

I have killed the process, but I'd like to know how I can prevent it starting up again or anybody else installing it?

TIA

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

I'm not that familiar with teamspeak itself, but a simple webspace user shouldn't have had the permissions to install a program on the server. Does this user have SSH access? You probably also need to secure /tmp and /var/tmp to ensure that programs cannot be compiled and run from those locations.

3. QuickFix

QuickFix Registered

I just realised that the user had bash access and shouldn't have. I've now disabled it. :D

4. ddent

ddent Member

If they are doing things they shouldn't be, tell them so, if they continue, disable their account.

You may also want to consider having a firewall.

BTW, realize that whether they have shell access or not is a moot point if you still give them CGI or PHP access...

5. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

As someone said, if they have cgi or php access, then anyone can just about install and run what they like on their space (privileges allowing.)
    Not forgetting cron jobs too, as they run via command line..

You need a firewall to block all ports except what you actually use, this is the best way and will stop scripts being setup in /tmp and dossing folks too..they will get there, even noexec on /tmp won't stop them running, but installing an iptables based firewall blocking all ports except those used will stop them having any intended effect.