The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how can I host a website but not use DNS?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dflorence, May 23, 2006.

1. dflorence

dflorence Member

This is a newbie question - I'm sure the answer is simple... ( I hope so, 'cos I won't understand complicated ones) :)

I have a client that wants me to host their website but who uses a different company to manage the DNS records for the domain and deal with their email, etc.

I have asked the company to point their "www" address record at the IP of my whm so I can deal with "www.domain.org" leaving all email, vpn's, etc. etc to be managed through their serrvers.

How can I set up a website with cpanel interface? I have tried adding the account in the normal way, but that adds DNS records that muck up me trying to send emails to the organisation from the server (they are delivered locally).

TIA

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Yep, local DNS records will mess around with things like that.

Use the 'Edit MX Entry' feature in WHM to get mail going to the right place.

3. leat

leat Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does this really solve this problem? Isn't the problem that the domain resides in /etc/localdomains and hence mail will be delivered locally?

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

It's true that the domain resides in /etc/localdomains and should be removed and put instead into /etc/remotedomains to prevent mail being delivered locally.

The Edit MX Entry feature handles this, from what I've heard.