The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Can I Offer Domain Names?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flinchy, Oct 11, 2010.

1. flinchy

flinchy Registered

Sep 21, 2010
    I am nearly finished on my website and will soon be purchasing the cPanel / WHM Hosting. I will be selling hosting on my website and alongside it domain names. How can I offer these (as a registrar kinda way) to let my customers purchase them? At the minute the only thing I can think of is to let my customers purchase them only with hosting and I register (say through 1and1 or something) on their behalf and link the NameServers. Is there any way I could let my clients register just a domain and no hosting and give them access to change their own NameServers and other settings without them having hosting with me? I think I heard that cPanel only controls the hosting? Or am I wrong about this?

Can it be done in WHM or would I have to purchase the domain on behalf of my customers?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel / WHM only handles the control panel portion for a server, so you are correct that we would not handle domain registrations and domain registrar nameserver changes. Anything handled via domain registrations, including changing nameservers at the domain registrar would need to be handled by that domain registrar rather than using cPanel / WHM.

You could become a reseller for a domain registrar and use their API to tie into it for automating domain registrations. If you are currently using a domain registrar, you could check into that registrar how you go about becoming a reseller for domains with that provider.