The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how can i REDIRECT email as opposed to FORWARDING it?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by spaceman, Sep 9, 2003.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

If I have a POP account:

xyz@abc.com

and I want to forward it to

xyz@hotmail.com

then it's easy - I just setup a forwarding instruction in cpanel from the first to the second.

But setting up such a forwarding instruction has the effect of placing a copy of the message in xyz@abc.com AND a copy into xyz@hotmail.

What if I DON'T want a copy of the message to go to xyz@abc.com? What if I want the message sent to xyz@abc.com to be REDIRECTED to xyz@hotmail and not stored at xyz@abc.com as well?

Is that possible, and if so how?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

Yes by not having a POP3 and instead just a forwarding e-mail account.....

Brenden

3. spaceman

Thanks for your reply.

I actually knew that (honest!). :)

BUT, there are most definitely occasions when I want to put a temporary redirect on a POP account without having to delete and then later recreate it.

Sure, it's not a huge job to delete and recreate a POP account, but often I won't know the password of the POP account (and can't look it up because it's encrypted), and I'm doing it on behalf of a client who's not too sure what it is either (all they know is that Outlook Express 'works').

So many question still stands (albeit a little less solidly than before) :)

Thanks.

4. spaceman

And I forgot - there's another reason why a redirect would come in handy: when a new hosting account is created, a POP account is always created with the username for that account.

So if I have a domain mycompany.com, I create a hosting account with a username of mycompan (first 8 chars), then whether I like it or not I find myself with a POP account called

mycompan@mycompany.com

This is a POP account that I can never delete. That's fine, but what does bother me is that for one reason or another (eg. bounced emails) email messages can accumulate here and there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop this happening. With the power to redirect, I could.

5. Noldar

Noldar Well-Known Member

You could probably set it up as a filter. Go to Mail->E-Mail Filtering->Add Filter. In the first box select To, in the second box select contains, in the third box put the email address that you want to redirect, in the destination put the email address you want it to go to. So you should have something like:

Filter To that contains email1@domain.com
    Destination email2@domain.com

I'm pretty sure that should do what you want.

Richard

6. spaceman

Thanks! That seems to work. :)

Side note: CPanel X 1.1 doesn't seem to have a link to Email Filtering. Great skin, but it bugs me when it doesn't have links to this and other options (such as Disk Quota Viewer)...