The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I secure both domain.com and www.domain.com??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by luna, Feb 7, 2005.

1. luna

luna Active Member

Hi,

My customer wants me to install SSL for both domain.com and www.domain.com.
    How can I setup SSL or modify account in this case?
    Please advise! :)

Thanks in advance.

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

You need a wildcard certificate to be able to use both options because as far as a certificate is concerned, www is a subdomain, and the basic certificate can only be for one URL, the domain or a subdomain of it.

3. luna

luna Active Member

Hi Squirrel,

Thank you for your reply. :)

I asked GeoTrust about the same question.
    Their answer was that I need to mirror the original site, on a different IP and obtain a separate certificate for both.

How can I mirror the original site by Cpanel?
    Do you think Wildcard is the only way?

Best Regards,

4. PWSowner

Actually, a mirrored copy would do the trick, and be much cheaper, but mirroring a site can be tricky enough unless it has content that hardly ever changes. Their idea is, create an account for domain.com with a ded IP and a seperate account for www.domain.com on it's own IP and get a certificate for each.

A wildcard certificate would be the easiest solution, but they start at a minimum of over $300.

Another option is to just get the certificate for one or the other option, then use htaccess to redirect the other one. There was a post here not too long ago about that. That would be the easiest overall, but if they really want to be able to use it with and without www, I'd see if they want to pay for a wildcard certificate.

5. PWSowner

About 2 screens down on this page might help with the htaccess option.

6. luna

luna Active Member

Hi Squirrel,

Thank you very much!! :)
    That helps me a lot.

I wonder why GeoTrust does not sell a certificate to secure both with www and without www.
    There is certain demand for it. :confused:

Best Regards,

7. PWSowner

That's actually a good idea. Not a wildcard certificate, just the ability to work with and without www. I wonder which SSL provider will be the first too offer this? ;)

8. MakassarNET

MakassarNET Well-Known Member

Thawte Wildcard SSL Certificate is the best solutions for this. If you are interested about Thawte Wildcard SSL Certificate, please email Our Sales Department (sales@makassarhosting.net) cause we are Authorized Thawte Reseller and we can offer you our competitive prices for Thawte Wildcard Certificate.

Best Regards,

9. bking

bking Well-Known Member

setup 2 SSL sites on seperate IPs, one for domain.com and one for www.domain.com. Each is a secure site in its own right. Purchase a cheapy SSL cert from ev1servers.net (starterssl for 9.95 USD/yr)

So you will outlay 19.90USD for the two certs. Once the sites are setup (through cpanel? ) on their own IP, just edit httpd.conf and change the doc root to be the same...

the only drawback is 2 IPs, but if you want both hosts to work with the SSL, you WILL need 2 IPs...Or a wildcard cert on one IP. I think I know the cheaper option :)

10. MrChook

MrChook Registered

Unless my understanding of wildcard certificates is flawed then you can't secure domain.com and xxxx.domain.com with a single certificate. You can only secure xxxx.domain.com and yyyy.domain.com. Similarly, you also can't use it to secure xxxx.yyyy.domain.com.