Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can VPS end user verify for symlink protection

Discussion in 'Security' started by ottdev, Sep 23, 2017.

1. ottdev

ottdev Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How can a VPS end user verify if there is active symlink protection ? Specifically - how do I verify if any kernel level protection is in place when I read this?

"We strongly recommend that you do not enable this feature unless you absolutely require it. You do not need this option if you run the cPanel hardened kernel or some other kernel level solution."

I know it's Virtuozzo, so presumably cannot be running the cpanel hardened kernel.
    What commands can I run or settings in WHM to verify ?

I want to confirm for myself without blindly trusting what hosting provider tells me because ultimately I am responsible.

2. Eminds

Eminds Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. ottdev

ottdev Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you, but no, having seen the documentation which mentions the options and how to configure them, I am still left trying to figure out which of these may have actually been installed by the datacenter... how can I tell what's been done at kernel level ?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I recommend checking with your VPS hosting provider to verify if the kernel installed on the host node is patched for symlink protection. Otherwise, you could run the "uname -a" command to see if a GrSec kernel is installed.

Thank you.