The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can we help you develop your application?

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by MattDees, Dec 11, 2009.

1. MattDees

MattDees cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As we move into the next decade we are starting to look at what we can do to make customer's lives easier. We are trying to give you the tools you need to create, modify and make cPanel/WHM your own, but without feedback from you on what you WANT to do this can be difficult to achieve.

So, I open this thread posing one question. What can cPanel do for you to make your development easier?

This can include:
    Documentation on various parts of cPanel/WHM
    Implementation of new integration methods within cPanel/WHM
    Support that can be provided by cPanel/WHM
    Tutorials
    Or any other ideas that you have that can make developing addons easier for you.

Thanks!

2. bvierra

bvierra Well-Known Member

A code repository that clients / staff can put code snippets into. There is no point rewriting the wheel for the 200th time :)

3. rachelm

rachelm Well-Known Member

Will have to think on this one, I probably have a big list somewhere, but to start with:

make url fopen and file access in cpanels php.ini a configurable option via WHM. Our software needs that (in the cpanel php.ini not the main server one) and there's no options in WHM to change the cpanel php.ini so we ended up just making our own to turn it on and off.

And yes I know cpanel itself doesn't need it (which is why it's left out). Also make a way to mod the cpanel php.ini and not have the changes overwritten every time there's an update or cpanel restart etc.

4. jdhf99

jdhf99 Well-Known Member

Full documentation and listing of API1 and API2 calls, parameters, etc. Pleaseee.

5. MattDees

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In progress, this has consumed a majority of my time lately :)

6. derfuhrer2007

derfuhrer2007 Member

That repository of script examples would be amazing, also making suggestions on new api calls and voting on them

7. n8whnp

n8whnp Member
    Staff Member

Matt,

I just spent a while working out how to do some simple tests and conditional statements in the easyapache template system. Its a really powerful tool, but I wish it there were more examples of how to test things.

An even more useful thing would be to allow the piping of tests in Template Toolkit to scripts w/variable passing.

Nate

8. RSimoes

RSimoes Member
    PartnerNOC

Speaking of templates, it would be great to see some improvements in the api2 template syntax. Specifically:

* Reduce the number of characters one needs to escape. As of now, almost every non-alphanumeric ascii character has to be escaped with the awkward "\{...}" syntax.
    * Be consistent with the syntax for variable interpolation: it goes from "%" to "${...}" when traversing through a hash table.
    * Get rid of the requirement to use brackets for HTML tags. Maybe even swap the use of brackets and greater-than/less-than signs:
    Code:
    [?cp Park::listaddondomains(
        <tr class="row-%">
            <td class="truncate">%</td>
    ?]
    If you guys are in the mood for a radical change, I do think Template Toolkit's syntax would be a good model to follow.

9. MattDees

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Some changes here are coming, that's all I can say :)