The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How d?o you configure DNS when using A record directs

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by zesgar, Aug 14, 2011.

1. zesgar

zesgar Registered

Aug 14, 2011
    So I have a big profile client that uses yahoo small business hosting. I have designed a joomla website for them that yahoo doesn't really support.(.htaccess and such) So I am thinking that if I keep it hosted on my own vps with whm that I can just simply put in my vps IP in the A record for the and that should point to my new joomla site on my vps and keep all their email settings and such untouched. Will this work?

If so is there anything special I need to do in the DNS Zone on my vps? I just setup a typical account for them with the address. Will this work without messing up the mx records on Yahoo or do I need to delete the defaul mx records on my vps before switching?
  2. hgrg

hgrg Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    as far as i can see requests are like that:

set name servers
    at the name servers you alter the default A record to point to your vps
    dns contains stuff like that:
    A record: vps ip
    mx 0: yahoo
    mx 10: yahoo

and your dns @ your vps might contain anything.. it doesnt matter because you are using the dns set by yahoo :)
    so yes you are good to go..

(im doing stuff like that just in my case :
    i had a goDaddy shared host with domains assigned to it, and had several subdomains which served static content so shared host was just fine for them, but on the main domain had a dynamic site causing heavy load.. so i set A record to my dedicated server...)