How do I access /etc/proftpd.conf ?

Laver2k

Registered
Aug 25, 2004
I havent edited any cpanel files but ma wanting to change my FTP timeout. I have read u can change it if u edit "/etc/proftpd.conf" but I can not see proftpd.conf when I look for it through an FTP client or the cpanel file browser.
I see the following >
imapv4cp5c
passwd
quota
shadow
and a directory with my domain name on it.

Where do I find the file?

PWSowner

Nov 10, 2001
ON, Canada
The proftpd.conf file is in the /etc directory, hence the "/etc/proftpd.conf". The /etc directory is in the root of the server though, not the root of your account. End users do not have access to this file.

If it is your server, you need to use a secure shell or ftp program to access that part of the server.

Laver2k

Registered
Aug 25, 2004
I can access the "/etc" folder through both FTP and the file browser, I just cant see the file that I need to edit. Is this something that I will have to get my host to do or do I need to access teh folder under a certain setting or something?

anand

Nov 11, 2002
India
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Laver2k said:
I can access the "/etc" folder through both FTP and the file browser, I just cant see the file that I need to edit. Is this something that I will have to get my host to do or do I need to access teh folder under a certain setting or something?
what squirrel mentioned was the /etc in your server root and NOT your account root. You would need to ssh to your server and then find the file inside the /etc of the root directory of the server.

Laver2k

Registered
Aug 25, 2004
Im sorry but I have only used FTP and file broswers when managain a site.
Could you point me to a thread where I can find details about what SSH is and how to use it?

richy

Jun 30, 2003
Do you have "root" access to the server?

If not, you can't change this setting and you will need to contact your server administrator. If you do have root access and you do not know how to use SSH, then I would hire a server administrator as your box is probably extremely insecure and open to hackers/abuse at this moment in time.

PWSowner

Nov 10, 2001
ON, Canada
If you can see the following:
etc
home
usr
var

and a few others, you're at the root of the server

If you see:
mail
public_ftp
public_html

and so on, you're at the root of your account.

If you're at the root of the server and can't find /etc/proftpd.conf, it could be in /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf like easyhoster1 mentioned.