The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I add a new server to my setup?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DigitalEssence, Apr 25, 2017.

1. DigitalEssence

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I've outgrown my VPS and have just purchased a dedicated server. I had planned to move everything over to this and knock the VPS on the head but am now thinking that it would be a good idea to keep WHMCS on the VPS and just move my clients over to the dedicated server and become a two server setup. Exciting and worrying/confusing times!

I know how to add the new server to WHMCS but I'm a little confused at the steps I need to take before this to get the new server ready to migrate the customer accounts over. I've therefore got a few questions and I'm sure will have (a lot) more as I progress.

1) On the VPS the packages are all called digital1_packagename This is because they were set up under the digital1 reseller account. I'm assuming I now have to create the same account on the new server so that the packages have the same name? I know I can export/import the txt files from /var/cpanel/packages so I don't have to manually recreate them.

2) How do I manage services like cPanel? Currently users will access their cPanel account on my VPS using my domainname:2082 and WHMCS via clients.domainname. My domain name will be staying with the VPS so the WHMCS link will continue to work but what about cPanel? Would I be best to point say cpanel.domainname to the new server? Can I do this when the domainname is staying on the VPS and not moving to the new server?

3) How do I set up nameservers on the new server. I currently have them setup on the VPS. Do I need to set new ones up, should I maybe split them between the two servers or should I use the cluster function and use both servers?

Sorry for the idiot questions. Just as soon as I think I'm learning how to do this and think I'm getting good at it, a task or job comes along which shows me how little I know.

regards,

Hedley

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Hedley,

You can copy over the packages when transferring the accounts via "WHM >> Transfer Tool":

Transfer Tool - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

You don't have to actually copy the reseller account, but you can do so if you prefer to keep them under a reseller.

You can modify the "A" record in the DNS zone for "server.tld" so that it points to the new server via "WHM >> Edit DNS Zone" if you prefer. However, generally users can access services such as cPanel/WHM/Webmail via "cpanel.their-domain.tld". Additionally, newer versions of cPanel support SSL over customer domain names for those services:

What is Domain TLS - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

You could setup new name servers on the new server per the instructions at:

How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

If you want to use the same name servers, but use different name server IP addresses, then you'd update the name server IP addresses at the domain registrar after migrating the accounts.

I recommend purchasing an additional dedicated server or VPS and installing cPanel DNS-Only on that server if you prefer to setup a DNS cluster. We offer a guide on DNS cluster configurations that should help at:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks!

DigitalEssence likes this.
  3. DigitalEssence

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

thanks for your, as usual, very informative reply.

One more (hopefully) question regarding nameservers.

I currently have 4 nameservers set up on Server A and registered with my registrar.

They are:

ns1.domain.tld SERVER_A_IP_ADDRESS
    ns2.domain.tld SERVER_A_IP_ADDRESS
    ns3.domain.tld SERVER_A_IP_ADDRESS
    ns4.domain.tld SERVER_A_IP_ADDRESS

Should I

1) Split these between server A & B so that say ns1 & ns2 have the IP of server A and ns3 & ns4 have the new IP of Server B
    2) Create another 4 name servers for Server B (most domain records only use 3-4 nameservers so I don't think this will work)

I'm assuming option A is the one to go for?

Once I have done this and registered the new IP address at the registrar. Am I ok to set up a DNS cluster using my standard install of cPanel? I know you recommend purchasing another server and running cPanel DNS-Only but I already have two servers in two different locations and both running full blown cPanel.

Thanks,

Hedley

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

WHM-to-WHM two-way sync configurations are not recommended. If you are not planning to setup a third server with cPanel DNS-Only, then I'd recommend setting up new name servers for the new server, and changing the name servers for any domain name that you move to the new server.

That said, if you do decide to setup clustering between the two cPanel servers, then you could setup the name server IPs at the registrar like this:

ns1.domain.tld SERVER_A_IP_ADDRESS
    ns2.domain.tld SERVER_B_IP_ADDRESS
    ns3.domain.tld SERVER_A_IP_ADDRESS
    ns4.domain.tld SERVER_B_IP_ADDRESS

You would then enable clustering per the documentation at:

DNS Cluster - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

DigitalEssence likes this.