The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I add an IP ONLY account?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PPNSteve, Jul 22, 2007.

1. PPNSteve

PPNSteve Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I have a need to add a new account that ONLY uses the IP.. I still need it to have a username/password, cpanel, etc.. how would you go about setting this up? (it fails in whm > create account currently)

any ideas?

2. gmagana

gmagana Active Member

Dumb suggestion: Add the account as an independent subdomain of your hosting, then don't tell your customer about that subdomain (ie: ip-only.yourhosting.com )... An IP-only account will have limited use, though, but you probably already know that.

3. PPNSteve

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    thats not viable solution for what I need.. the DNS will be 3rd party (an A record) and there won't be any 'true' domain account associated with this cPanel account. The account itself needs to not be associated with any other domain on this box.

thanks for the thought though.

anyone else?

4. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

I dont think you're being clear about what you want.

Are you saying that you need an account for which the DNS is managed outside your server.
    I.E. they will simply point a name to your IP?

if that's the case just create the account, cpanel knows that it's not the primary nameserver and will just press on without creating a DNS entry for it... you'll have a username/password, cpanel, etc.

I *think* you want to check this box when creating the account:
    Use domain registry nameservers
    (ignore locally configured ones)

5. ike

ike Well-Known Member

forget what i wrote. i missed one reply. :) i got no idea.

after reading it all properly tho, that subdomain idea would be a great idea for adding shell users only thru cpanel thus all managed from winthin whm instead of half half like i do now i wonder if billing software can be set up to auto add a subdomain account. im just talking out loud. Is there anyone here that runs cpanel on an irc allowed server and uses it like i mention?

#5 ike, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  6. PPNSteve

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    the issue is mainly that there is no domain name to be associated with the account (perhaps later.. ) so i would need to be able to create a new account with no domain name but whm isn't letting me.

so how would one add a IP based (only) account that still has a cPanel etc. account? it can't be all this hard.

7. freedman

you have to make a fake domain name.
    All webhosting accounts have to have some sort of domain name.
    you can use the naming convention rvskins uses and make a .zz domain.

"xx.xxx.xxx.xxx.IPONLY.zz" if you want to have the IP address to distinguish this IP only account from a different IP only account. or just use "IPONLY.zz"

Now... you then have to do some manual work.
    you MUST make sure that the virtualhost for this IP Only domain is the FIRST virtual host using that particular IP address listed in the httpd.conf

apache will attempt to match URL domain names to a virtual host entries. If it cannot, then it defaults to the first virtual host entry using that IP address.
    so, when they put the IP address in the browser, if this virtualhost entry isn't first, they'll get the pages for another hosting account.

This is also a good thing to note in general.
    it's good practice to have a virtual host entry for every IP address which points to some placeholder page (or your sales page, etc...).

8. freedman

EDIT: Note also, it may go without saying, but you can, obviously, only have one IP Only account per IP address...