The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I add 'www' before a subdomain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by samrocks, Jul 9, 2014.

1. samrocks

samrocks Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I want to add 'www' in front of a subdomain e.g. www.subdomain.domain.com

My blogs are hosted on Blogger and am using GoDaddy for having custom domains.

I have HOST @ entries for 'domain' pointing specified by blogger. The following subsdomains are configured by adding CNAME alias as follows :

For domain (including www . domain) I have one blog. For subdomain, I am pointing it to seperate blog using above entries and 'subdomain.domain.com' works fine.

I read articles on this issue /http://www.techproceed.com/2014/05/custom-domain-setup-on-blogger-with.html and tried adding following CNAME entry but no luck :

How do I make 'www.subdomain.domain.com' work ?

2. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can't AFAIK because www is a sub domain of domain.com

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To expand on kernow's comment, www is not actually part of a domain name, and it is itself a subdomain. The convention is to put www in front of a domain name, to access a Web site, but that is usually not actually required - it is just a common thing to do that people recognize. Usually, subdomains are meant to be accessed without being prefixed by the www, because the www would essentially be redundant - a subdomain of a subdomain, in a sense.