The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I change an account to be under a new domain name?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zackw, Jul 8, 2011.

1. zackw

zackw Active Member

Hi, I recently asked a question about how to point a 2nd domain to an account, and they said to make it a parked domain in cpanel. This worked fine, but the boss actually wants the 2nd domain to be the "primary" domain now, i.e. it gets all the results in search engines and is indexed etc... I assume that the parked domain is not going to be in search results and so forth.

So the question is, in WHM, can I change the domain associated with the account, or do I have to create a new account and do some kind of account transfer? If I DO do an account transfer and associate the new domain, then all the content is going to be on the new domain now, so I'm going to worry about search engines having the same data under both domain names and penalizing us. And also I assume I'll lose all my traffic stats and other stats.

All things considered, I just want our website in WHM to be under a new domain name, but how should I do that, and what needs to be taken into consideration as far as search engines or duplicate content, stats and so forth?

Thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You should be able to use the Modify an Account link in WHM.

WHM > Account Functions > Modify an Account. Edit Primary domain. TBH, I would probably want to delete Parked domain from the same way you added it via cPanel first though. Clear it from the system so to speak. Once you've done that you should be abe to edit the account as mentioned.

I can't comment on what sorts of issues you may run into with your website, but if its setup to use relative links, changing the account should go off easy enough. If not, you'd probably have some editijg of the website itself to make the links on it, use the new primary domain name.

IIRC, there are multiple threads around the forums on changing domain name. You might like to poke around for those for more tips.

GL!

3. zackw

zackw Active Member

Ok I found it, I think that will work.

A followup question is, since the domains are being swapped, what can I do about Email accounts that were setup with the previous primary domain?
    Since that domain will now be parked, can it still have Email? Or maybe I can just do forwards or something?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, you could try it I suppose. It might be easier to kill the email accounts and recreate if possible. You should be able to create an email on a parked domain though, sure.