The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I change email username?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by darksky, Feb 13, 2014.

1. darksky

darksky Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've got a username that I've been using for years, and have a LOT of aliases (forwarders) to it.

The main username is now getting a lot of spam, and I want to simply change it so that all I have to do is change the username text in cPanel, and the username text in my email client, and voila - done.

How do I do that in cPanel though?? All I see is change password / change quota / delete.

#1 darksky, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There are no native options to change the username of an email account. You could delete it and create a new email account, and then update the forwarders so that email is forwarded to the new address. The other option is to address the SPAM it receives by implementing a stricter SpamAssassin configuration or enabling additional options as "root" to help prevent SPAM.

Thank you.

3. darksky

darksky Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Right now I don't even have SpamAssassin on because:

1: I'm scared it will stop important emails from coming through
    2: For some reason I'm on a spanish spam list and 90% of my spam is all in Spanish.

I can't believe cPanel doesn't let someone just change their username (!?) Especially since it's a good idea to do every few years (imo). Right now, if I want to do a simple change, like from webadmin to say webadmin1 , I have to create a whole new account, manually move over all the dozens of forwarders to it, then kill the old account. This would be much easier if I just clicked "edit username" and made the change there!

#3 darksky, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can change the username of the cPanel account, which controls the default username of the account. However, individual email account usernames can not be changed in a way that will automatically direct existing forwarders to the new email address. You are welcome to submit a feature request for this via:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.