The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I change server IP range

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by discovery, Feb 8, 2010.

1. discovery

discovery Active Member

Hi,

I try to search and I looked in FAQ but I didn't find a "step by step" way to change the IP range of a server, including the main IP

few posts I found are not very descriptive

Is there anywhere a how to at this subject?

TKS.

2. discovery

discovery Active Member

nobody?

i can not believe that is none here who change the datacenter, or ISP, or....

3. nimrodx

nimrodx Active Member

Have you checked the IP migration wizard?

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The new IP address information and configuration detail should be obtained from your data center; afterward, I recommend the following two menu paths in WHM for managing the IP addresses:
    WHM: Main >> IP Functions >> Add a New IP Address
    WHM: Main >> IP Functions >> Show or Delete Current IP Addresses

After the new IP addresses are bound to a network interface, then the IP Migration Wizard can help with switching configurations to use the new IPs; the following menu path and documentation should help in this regard:
    WHM: Main >> IP Functions >> IP Migration Wizard

5. nimrodx

nimrodx Active Member

The quickest method I have found is:

1) add new range to /etc/ips
    2) execute /etc/init.d/ipaliases reload
    3) execute /scripts/rebuildippool

....and then run your IP migration wizard :) It's slightly quicker than doing it all via WHM though for ease of use and 'newbies' I'd suggest Don's method.

6. discovery

discovery Active Member

I already added the new IP's and looks OK
    what I was questioning, if IP migration wizard is capable to change the main server IP, including the gateway, netmask and all stuff or I have to manually edit eth0 config file and reboot, or .......
    I am away from server location for another one month at least but I have to do that this weekend, so I cannot afford to loose contact with server.
    so the new main IP must be reachable (ssh at least) from the first try.

and the licence? Do I have to contact cpanel for the IP change first or after?

#6 discovery, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  7. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I recommend having on-site data center staff assist with the configuration change; this task requires manual configuration and precision to ensure the correct information is entered for the new IP address, including using the correct gateway and network mask. Misconfiguration could easily result in an inaccessible server, requiring on-site console access if no other access method is possible, such as via remote KVM access.

Changing the licensed IP address may be accomplished through your license provider; this could be the data center hosting the server if they provided your license. If the license is provided directly from cPanel you may use your cPanel Store account or via manage2.

To determine the cPanel Partner NOC that provides the license I recommend the following resource: License Verification - cPanel Inc.

8. discovery

discovery Active Member

Ok, so I started to do IP migration wizard:

1step: enter the new IP's - OK
    2step: distributing the domains on the newer IP - OK

now the warning: This next step will modify your servers' configuration files. Once this step has been started it cannot be reversed.

if I click continue now, il will ask me for main IP, gateway, netmask or I will have to manually change that using ssh?

9. discovery

discovery Active Member

ok, thank you,

problem solved

10. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    As mentioned previously the task of configuring the network interface for the main server IP address is usually a manual process via SSH.

Thank you for the status update. :)

11. zxmax

zxmax Registered

i have couple of question to continue this threat

so now, we have added the new IP block in the Cpanel
    what about DNS migration?
    eg: we have ns1, ns2.domain.com ,, they exist in the same server ..
    what is best technique to migrate the dns IP with minimum down , or even no down time ..
    should i change ns2.domain.com to new IP address, say 2 days prior move ? as a backup ?

just to summerize the move .. (that might help others)
    1- Change ns2.domain.com to new IP address 3 days prior move , so we could allow for propegation

2- add the extra IP block to the old server

3- modify DNS files (can someone tell me which files to change - location) we do have root access

4- shorten the TTL time to 5 min

5- apply new IP address to sites and main IP address

6- Do the physical move

7- turn on server in new location (say after 2 hours)

8- change ns1.domain.com

any suggestions of the above steps ?

thanks in advance

12. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    To avoid unnecessary downtime I would ensure there is, at minimum, one DNS server (or more) that can answer queries while any IP address changes are being performed. If you have two DNS servers registered to IP addresses that share the same physical machine, then I would change one of the DNS server IP address at least 3 days in advance of changing the other DNS server IP address, but before changing any others I would ensure that you can manually query and receive a valid response from the DNS server using its new IP address.

You may perform a DNS query using any tool appropriate for the task; I recommend using "dig" via console from a local workstation or via SSH access on any server other than where your DNS server is located. Here are a few example uses of "dig"; replace "host" with either the hostname or IP address of your DNS server, and replace "domain.tld" with the domain name to be queried, which may also be a sub-domain, such as ns1.domain.tld:
    Code:
    # dig @host +noall +answer A domain.tld
    # dig @host +all A domain.tld
    # dig @host +all ANY domain.tld
    For more "dig" usage information, please see its manual "man" page and help information:
    Code:
    # man dig
    # dig -h
    When changing an IP address of a DNS server, you would need to modify it at the domain registrar (where the DNS/name server is registered) and in the A record within the DNS zone; in the DNS zone it is the A record that points the DNS server domain/host address to an IP address, such as pointing ns1.domain.tld to a specific IP address. To know which DNS zone to edit, as an example, if your DNS/name server is ns1.domain.tld, you would normally edit the DNS zone of domain.tld; DNS zones can be modified using either WebHost Manager (WHM) or cPanel.

Via WHM, you may login using either root ("Administrator") access or via a reseller account that can edit the applicable DNS zone:
    WHM: Main >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone

Via cPanel, you would need to login to the same account that owns the domain name containing the A record of your DNS servers (e.g., the account that owns domain.tld assuming the DNS server is ns1.domain.tld):
    cPanel: Main >> Domains >> Advanced DNS Zone Editor